Job location: Penn Dental at Schattner Center
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-23
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleResearch SpecialistJob Profile TitleResearch Specialist BJob Description SummaryPlans and performs laboratory experiments and assist with clinical studies on oral health research. Daily management of laboratory experimental procedures, clinical sample collection and processing, application of general laboratory biological techniques, keeping accurate laboratory records and processes to ensure regulatory compliance and timely completion of project/program deliverables. Work closely with Principal Investigator (PI), Co-Investigators and research team on experimental/clinical work set ups in accordance with established protocols.Job Description
Reporting to the Director of Clinical Research Operations, the Research Specialist will oversee and conduct laboratory activities for an NIH-funded study on HIV, oral health, and systemic disease. Specific responsibilities are:
- Develop laboratory protocols and other process documents, reviewing and updating as necessary over the course of the study.
- Monitor laboratory supply levels, placing orders as necessary.
- Prepare the laboratory for study visits, including pre-labeling all study tubes and ensuring that biospecimen collection kits are properly assembled and provided to the clinical team.
- Assist in the collection of biospecimens including saliva, swabs, urine and blood, and ensure their safe and compliant transport to the lab.
- Process specimens per protocol, and pre-process specimens intended for long-term storage.
- Monitor and maintain a comprehensive database of all study biospecimens, including ensuring appropriate storage conditions at all times.
- Attend and participate in regular team meetings.
- Perform data entry, interact with human subjects, and assist in the conduct of study visits as needed.
- Other research and laboratory duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree with major in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related field and 1-3 years related experience in laboratory and clinical study methodologies desirable. A combination of advanced education and experience is also acceptable. Must be detail oriented, able to work independently and in a team environment. Position contingent upon grant funding.Job Location - City, StatePhiladelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / SchoolSchool of Dental MedicinePay Range$36,401.00 - $65,521.00Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.