HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
LOCATION: DURHAM 27710
General Description of the Job Class
In support of a department or group of professionals, regularly required to resolve moderately complex (non-routine) administrative problems independently or with others. Problem resolution may include research. Tasks are typically diverse and advanced.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- In addition to tasks outlined in the Administrative Clerk description, examples ofwork at this level may typically include some combination of thefollowing:
- Independently prepare more complex documentation, reports, charts, graphs, and spreadsheets at designate intervals and as requested.
- Coordinate special projects.
- Research budget variance and follow up to resolve issues.
- Develop advanced presentation materials.
- Prioritize and resolve inquiries (phone, e-mail, in person).
- Schedule and maintain calendar of appointments, meetings and travel itineraries, and coordinate related arrangements.
- Act as a liaison between the department and external groups.
- Explain policy/procedures to other parties based on knowledge of the company and department guidelines.
- Collect,compile and analyze moderately complex data and information.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
ADDITIONAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Administrative Support: Will be required to provide on-going support for the recruitment and onboarding and support for the Support Services team members. Duties which include managing HR workflows, managing applicant flow and the interview process; facilitating employee moves, organizing new hires for orientation, onboarding new employees, preparing organizational charts, managing and analyzing HR reports, prepping meeting materials, maintaining HR records, and for junior HR talent, drafting HR announcements, and ordering supplies
- Post positions for union and non-union vacancies. Accept bid cards and determine eligibility for new hires, transfers and promotions. Generate offer letters and guide candidates through the acceptance, onboarding and orientation processes.
- Ensure proper onboarding process and documentation for all new hires.
- Manages HR calendar and schedules interviews/meetings as directed.
- Enters and maintains data in HRIS system. Responsible for ensuring employee changes are processed timely, accurately and communicates to appropriate personnel.
- Responds to verification of employment requests. Creates and generates reports as needed.
- Continuously evaluate, develop and improve processes for efficiency and execution.
- Administrative and compliance duties also include managing employee files and supporting documentation to ensure accurate and complete employee records, organizational charts, applicant flow records, announcements etc.
Required Qualifications at this Level
High school education or equivalent.
Two years of administrative support experience of increasing variety and/or complexity
- Prior experience in human resources in a coordinator role is strongly preferred. Must have excellent organizational skills, and a keen eye for attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects concurrently, with confidence to multi-task as required while still adhering to process.
- Have demonstrated use of analytical skills and problem solving/critical thinking skills. Must be detail-oriented, process-driven and self-motivated, focused on how to create efficient processes and tweak existing ones to scale.
- Possess strong verbal communication, writing and interpersonal skills along with the ability to form strong cross-functional relationships.
- Have a “customer service” orientation with ability to escalate issues when appropriate.
- Possess cross cultural awareness and high emotional intelligence.
- Have a strong work ethic and sense of confidentiality. Display sound judgement and integrity.
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite of products including Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams and Microsoft Outlook for email, calendar, contacts, scheduling and task management required.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Creatively uses PC, word processing and other office tools.
- Thorough knowledge of department policies, procedures, and goals.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.