Center for Human Health and Environment (CHHE) Director and Associate/Professor
PG190803EPInternal Recruitment :
Center for Human Health and Environment (CHHE) Director and Associate/ProfessorAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with rank, education and experience.Work Schedule:
Varies Based on Schedule.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Biological SciencesAbout the Department:
The Department of Biological Sciences is dedicated to basic research and teaching in a broad range of aspects of the biological sciences. The Department has strong undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral programs and substantial extramural support to develop and maintain integrative research programs. In addition the Department enhances its mission to interdisciplinary research and training programs with other units in the life sciences across colleges.
Center for Human Health and Environment’s mission is to understand how human health, at both the individual and population level, is impacted by environmental factors and to implement this knowledge to reduce the adverse impacts of environmental factors on human health.Essential Job Duties:
- The Center for Human Health and Environment (CHHE) Director will lead the established CHHE to become a global leader in Environmental Health Sciences (EHS) along the continuum from genes to populations by building on NC State’s unique research strengths and resources in quantitative biology, -omics and analytical technologies, and diverse model organisms as well as its emerging strength in human population science. The successful candidate will
- The selected candidate will be an established research scientist with an excellent record (e.g., teaching, publishing, external funding) in the broadly defined field of EHS. This individual will be expected to:
- Maintain an extramurally funded research program in EHS.
- Participate actively as a faculty member within the department of Biological Sciences.
- Direct the Center for Human Health and the Environment (CHHE), a P30 Center funded by the National Institute of Environmental Health Science (NIEHS).
- Roles associated with the CHHE Director position include, but are not limited to:
- Advance interdisciplinary EHS research across the Center to improve understanding about the impact of environmental exposures/stressors on human disease and adverse health outcomes.
- Facilitate translational and reverse translational research at both the individual and population level by creating and strengthening strategic partnerships and resources and engaging members in emerging opportunities and future challenges in EHS.
- Foster relationships between CHHE and communities in North Carolina that lead to collaborative engagement among researchers, educators, and citizens to enhance EHS knowledge and literacy and improve health in our partner communities.
- Expand EHS research capacity and productivity by providing access to and training in cutting-edge instrumentation, technology, data science and pathologic phenotypic assessment of model organisms.
- Provide investigators at all career stages valuable opportunities for collaboration, leadership, cross-training, and intellectual enrichment, as well as the foundational funding necessary to compete effectively for extramural research grants.
- Engage in and initiate efforts to expand the diversity and inclusion of EHS research and education at NC State and beyond.
- Inclusiveness and diversity are critical to the success of the College of Sciences and the University. The selected candidate will be expected to foster an environment that is supportive and welcoming of all groups.
- Additional duties as assiged.
- PhD in genetics, toxicology, epidemiology, cell biology, chemistry and engineering and other life sciences
N/ARequired License(s) or Certification(s):
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
02/19/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Special Instructions to Applicants: Review of applications will begin on April 15, 2021.
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
172201 - Biological SciencesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.