Director of Finance & Administration
Director of Finance & Administration
Job Number: 88525
We believe Stanford's future success will be shaped by the diverse perspectives, unique experiences, and inclusive culture of its community. Are you ready to make your impact and join our team?
We are launching a new research initiative whose mission is to transform human health on a global scale through the discovery and translation of the biological principles underlying human performance.
We aim to leverage an untapped reservoir of knowledge through the application of science, technology, and analytical rigor to the study of athletic performance, injury prevention, and injury recovery throughout life. By comprehensively studying athletes of various ages, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and disciplines, we will discover the biological principles that govern optimum performance, from the molecular level to the whole body. We will leverage these principles to optimize and sustain health throughout an individual's lifespan.
The initiative is a shared research program centered in the Stanford Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Research. Interdisciplinary research is collaboratively conducted in the Stanford School of Engineering, the Stanford School of Medicine, and the Stanford Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation.
Reporting to the senior leadership of the initiative and the Senior Associate Dean for Finance and Administration within the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Research, the Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) will provide strategic leadership and direction for finances and administration. This critical leadership position will ensure sound management of the finances and administration of the initiative. The DFA will work with the senior leadership of the initiative on new and existing research and education programs. Additionally, the DFA serves as the liaison within Stanford to the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Research, School of Engineering, School of Medicine and Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (DAPER).
As the administrative leader for the Alliance, the DFA provides leadership and direction for all financial and administrative functions including: budgeting, financial management and modeling, procurement, human resources, facilities/space and capital equipment planning and implementation. The DFA establishes the organizational structure and environment of the finance and administrative operations of the initiative and has oversight for administrative policies and procedures and applies Stanford University policies and procedures to the Alliance. The DFA will work across Stanford schools and departments.
- Direct staff and provide leadership to achieve goals and vision of the organization and the day-to-day operations. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, personal development for direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees.
- May independently or in collaboration with human resources managers, guide faculty supervisors in the interpretation and implementation of human resources policies, procedures and programs.
- Develop business plans and infrastructure to support research and teaching. Provide analysis and review of multi-year plans, including providing alternative methods for achieving goals when necessary. Influence faculty leadership on specific recommendations for current operation and for future development of the organization and lead process improvement.
- Interpret, implement and ensure compliance with university academic and administrative policies and procedures within an operating unit. Recommend new internal policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Oversee and/or manage the finances across all sources for the annual budget cycle, including developing, monitoring, analyzing forecasting and reporting.
- Manage and coordinate grants and contracts for the research initiative. Ensure compliance with institutional and external requirements.
- Represent the unit's business and academic operations within the organization. May represent the organization to external constituencies.
* - Other duties may also be assigned, not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills including conflict resolution.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong financial expertise in accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting.
- Strong expertise in grants and contract administration.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong expertise in business and management computer applications and databases.
- Strong knowledge of industry standards and/or regulatory requirements.
- Subject matter expertise for area(s) of responsibility.
- Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand, use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 11-20 pounds.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork or parts, rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000, which is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability and promote healthy, fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stanford welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions to the University's rese
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4132
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 88525
Location: Dean of Research, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency