Associate or Full Professor/Interim Dean of the Graduate School
Associate or Full Professor/Interim Dean of the Graduate SchoolPosting Number:
Full-timeIs this a temporary Position?:
YesJob Description Summary:
[INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY]
This position can be at either the main campus in Potsdam, NY or at the Capital Region Campus in Schenectady, NY.
The Interim Dean of the Graduate School is responsible for the University’s graduate education experience from recruitment to enrollment to degree completion, supporting the development of graduate students in their pursuit of a wide range of advanced degrees. The Graduate School directly oversees interdisciplinary professional master’s degrees in data science and engineering management and works closely with the Reh School of Business, Coulter School of Engineering, Lewis School of Health Sciences, School of Arts & Sciences, the Institute for a Sustainable Environment, and the Institute for STEM Education in supporting professional masters programs and research doctoral programs located in these Schools. Currently there are more than 1100 students enrolled in over 30 programs leading to the master’s degrees and 13 doctoral degrees. The Interim Dean of the Graduate School works with student organizations, faculty, graduate program directors, department chairs, and the Deans and Directors of other schools/institutes to ensure the continued growth and excellence of the programs Clarkson University. The Interim Dean of the Graduate School reports to the Provost.
1) Oversee the quality, programming and management of all masters and doctorate granting programs at Clarkson University.
2) Supervise the staff of the Graduate School, which 12 staff supporting enrollment management, recruiting, and program coordination.
3) Work with the Graduate Student Association and Student Affairs to support professional development and community building activities.
4) Manage an annual budget supporting enrollment management, student activities, professional development, and administrative services.
5) Promote diversity and inclusion in graduate admissions and education across the University.
6) Oversee initiatives to enhance recruitment, retention and placement of the highest caliber of graduate students.
7) Advise the Provost; in this capacity serving to work with academic deans/directors and sponsored research services to raise the profile and excellence of the Ph.D. programs Clarkson University and to work with academic leadership in establishing a permanent presence at the Capital Region Campus for professional and continuing studies programming and the expansion of offerings across all areas of the university.
8) Represent the interests of the Graduate programs at Clarkson University before alumni groups, parents’ councils and the Board of Trustees.
9) Serve on the Provost’s Council to represent the interests of graduate students.
10) Other duties as assigned.
Top candidates for this position will present records of academic distinction with experience working with graduate students as a mentor and in supporting, developing, or otherwise engaging with professional graduate programs and graduate students. Qualified candidates must be at the rank of associate or full professor.
Minimal Education: Doctorate in field granted by Clarkson University
Essential Skills: Financial portfolio management, graduate program development, implementation, assessment, recruiting. Ability to lead through influence and manage complex agendas. Ability to communicate and be visible and available to stakeholders.Preferred Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have administrative experience and an appreciation of the breadth and directions of graduate research and education, especially in emerging areas of professional degree programs. They will also possess skills and experiences relevant to managing a financial portfolio and in the development of courses and programs in relevant areas. They must be able to work with faculty, students, staff, administrators, and external constituencies to execute on a vision and a strategy for the future and be responsive and available with a record of strong administrative skills. They will have a record of supporting diversity and a commitment to promoting equity and inclusion for faculty, students, and staff. Travel between campuses will be required.Physical Demands:
Ability to complete essential classroom functions. Clarkson is committed to complying with the guidelines set forth under the Americans with Disabilities Act.Open Date:
03/05/2021Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions for this Posting:
NOTE: this can be a part-time or full-time position, depending on the candidate’s preference.
Salary is 2 months supplemental pay.
An equal opportunity /affirmative action employer, Clarkson actively seeks and encourages applications from minorities, women and people with disabilities
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).Maximum Number of Reference Letters:
0Minimum Number of Reference Letters: