OPS Citizen Scientist
Job no: 515864
Work type: Temp Part-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Department:29240101 - MD-HOBI-GENERAL
Enter the classification title here.Job Description:
The Department of Health Outcomes & Biomedical Informatics is seeking a Citizen Scientist to be part of a research team. The Citizen Scientist will represent their own perspective rather than speak on behalf of a certain patient, community, or sociodemographic group.
We are looking for individuals who:
Individuals who work in this capacity come from a variety of backgrounds and have diverse areas of interest, yet fulfill the role of providing input on the research topic such as identifying research questions, study design, patient recruitment ideas, methodology and tools used for research, review of patient materials, and issues of patient privacy. The Citizen Scientist will share their input and opinions through email and participation in ongoing meetings, and to pose questions that may otherwise go unasked.
Duties to include:
- Serve on the research study team to give continued feedback
- Attend weekday meetings by phone, video call using Zoom, or in-person between 8 am-5 pm
- Share input, opinions, and ask questions during meetings
- Maintain communication via email, phone, and periodic face-to-face meetings as needed
- Serve as link between researchers and the community
- Learn about new topics and employ critical thinking
- Have basic computer literacy including email use, or willingness to learn
- Participate in online trainings and certifications
- Commit no more than 4 hours a week to the study
Additional duties may include:
- Review research proposals submitted for funding
- Consult on grant applications (read, review, provide feedback)
- Offer input on research study participant recruitment materials such as flyers or emails
- Work with researchers to identify research problems of importance to the community
- Give input on plans to share research study findings with the community
- Complete the Citizen Scientist online training curriculum
$20.00 per hourMinimum Requirements:
- High school diploma
- 18 years of age or older
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in team settings
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
In order to be considered, you must upload your resume.
This is a part-time position (4 hours per week).
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 19 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 26 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time