Present Position Number:
00241VRole Code Title:
Trades Technician IPosition Title:
Grounds WorkerPosition Summary:
Facilities Management at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science invites applicants to apply for the Grounds Worker position.
The Grounds Worker maintains the Virginia Institute of Marine Science’s grounds through general grounds-keeping.
Reporting to the Grounds Lead Worker, the Grounds Worker assists with social function set-ups and moving furniture and equipment.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Maintains the campus landscape. General maintenance on plant and shrubbery beds, walkways, exterior stairs, ramps and roads and parking lots.
- Operates heavy equipment and digs ditches, trenches, etc. Responsible for campus litter removal.
- Sets up rooms by moving, arranging and properly storing furniture for special functions. Set up tents as needed and ensures set ups are completed on time according to schedule.
- Restores campus to good condition after a storm event. Collaborates with Grounds Team members to remove snow and ice on campus.
- Responds to emergency situations and task assignments on short notice.
- Basic knowledge of general landscape maintenance practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated skills in using and maintaining power and hand tools.
- Knowledge and skills with proper pruning practices in maintaining shrubbery.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to listen and understand oral and
written instructions to execute assigned responsibilities. Demonstrated ability to
complete assigned daily tasks and undertake manual labor.
- Good interpersonal skills with the proven ability to work collaboratively as an effective team player.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Experience working in a grounds position, particularly in maintaining shrubbery.
- Experience maintaining power and hand tools.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Experience in setting up for events (to include moving furniture and equipment).
Up to $25,000 per year, commensurate with experienceDepartment:
VIMS - GloucesterUniversity Salary Range:
U02Job Open Date:
02/19/2021Job Close Date:
03/28/2021Open Until Filled:
Full Time OperationalPosition Term:
12-MonthConditions of Employment::
- This is a non-exempt position eligible to receive over-time in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards act and University policy.
- This position may be subject to over time during high peak times, upon approval from supervisor.
- This position is designated as essential to the operation of the department and will require reporting to work when the VIMS / University is officially closed.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- The normal work schedule is 7:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Benefits Summary Statement:
Full – Time Positions: William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more.
To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php