Counselor Faculty, Visiting Lecturer
Counselor Faculty, Visiting LecturerRequisition Number:
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions.
A Visiting Lecture Counselor position is available starting January 19, 2021 through August 31, 2021. Under the supervision of the chairperson of the counseling department, the counselor is an integral member of the college community, providing counseling, career guidance, and advisement services for students to help them determine and achieve their educational, vocational and personal objectives. Counselors help students to identify, alleviate and/or eliminate factors that may impede student’s possible success in the areas of academic, vocational and/or personal achievement.
This position is located at the College’s main campus and remotely.Specific Responsibilities:
• Provide academic, career and personal counseling to a diverse community college student population.
• Participate in new student advisement, student orientation sessions, classroom presentations, assessment interpretations, and outreach activities.
• Assist students with the development and updating of an educational plan consistent with career goals.
• Develop, plan and conduct workshops to assist student retention. Such workshops may include but are not limited to classroom visitations, peer support groups, career exploration, transfer planning, stress management and cultural diversity.
• Participates in all full-time faculty responsibilities including faculty and staff development meetings and committee assignments.
• Maintain a level of proficiency in the use of current and emerging technology in providing information to students.
• Consult with faculty and members of the college community regarding students learning, behavioral and emotional needs.
• Work one evening a week.
• May be assigned minor administrative duties.
• Perform all other counseling duties.Minimum Qualifications:
• An earned Master’s degree in counseling or closely related field required. In addition, 1 to 3 years of recent (within last five years) experience working with a diverse college student population in a counseling setting at a college or university.
• Demonstrated ability to apply various counseling theories in the framework of the college educational setting.Preferred Qualifications:
• Understanding of the principles, objectives, and philosophy of counseling, career guidance, and student support services in relation to a diverse student population with diverse learning needs.
• Demonstrated experience with crisis intervention.
• Strong technology skills required, including demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office products, working knowledge of web browser and related technologies.
• NCC credential or equivalent (e.g., PA licensure).Work Location:
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Names and contact information of 3 professional referenced REQUIRED.
• Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
• Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.Position Type:
Faculty, CounselorEmployment Status :