Senior Business Analyst
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-19
The University of Virginia’s Vice President for Finance seeks Senior Business Analysts to join their Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA) team.
FPA projects, allocates, and manages the central resources available for operating and capital expenditures. FPA partners with schools and units to guide the annual budget process. Their aim is to provide financial planning and analysis that informs executive management decision making and the strategic planning process resulting in an annual budget that aligns resources with the University’s strategic priorities.
FPA’s mission is as follows:
- The University Budget Office will support the University’s highest priorities by identifying, projecting, allocating, and managing the central resources available for operating and capital expenditures.
- We will employ sound budget projection and allocation practices; make reasonable resource allocation recommendations; and provide financial planning that informs executive management decision-making and strategic planning process.
- We will work with University academic and administrative units to guide the annual budgetary process, embrace efforts of process simplification, create an open budget environment, and develop innovative solutions.
- We will provide high-quality, team-oriented service that anticipates needs, provides appropriate guidance, and produces accurate and timely information while maintaining a courteous and professional attitude.
The Senior Business Analyst will be responsible for assisting in the development and maintenance of the University's annual operating budget and multi-year financial plan, including the establishment of planning assumptions and management of the tuition and fees model. In addition, the incumbent coordinates between the FPA team and UVA budget managers to evaluate report needs, suggests process improvements, documents requirements and use cases, and assists in developing and/or testing reports and dashboards. This role will also coordinate with Business Intelligence to conduct business process analyses and needs assessments to align information technology solutions with University initiatives.
This search is intended to fill two openings, one is permanent, and the other is initially limited to a 2-year term estimated to expire June 30, 2023. The limited-term appointment may be eligible for extension or conversion to a permanent appointment at the end of the initial term.
The Senior Business Analyst plays a vital role in maintaining complex resource allocation models; produces annual budget reporting and assisting in the development of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solutions. This position performs advanced-level analysis including the following:
- Performs fiscal, statistical, and other studies and analyses.
- Prepares operational budgets for departments.
- Provides analytical support for more complex budget projects.
- Recommends changes to systems and procedures to ensure conformance with budgetary policies.
- Makes recommendations and provide technical assistance on budgets, considering administration priorities, availability of resources, and impact on programs.
- Coordinates with the Office of Business Intelligence to reduce complexity, improve transparency, and increase access to and knowledge of financial data and information.
- Provides cross functional understanding of data and support in validation of new and revised reports and dashboards.
- Supports efforts to increase overall data literacy and effective use of new tools as they come available during the Finance Strategic Transformation project and beyond.
- Completes ad hoc projects as assigned.
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required, though relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. Advanced degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field is preferred.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in finance working in a data and analytics environment with well-established complex financial modeling skills is required.
- Demonstrated experience creating financial reports by gathering, evaluating, interpreting, and summarizing data is required.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and presenting visual presentations is required.
- Demonstrated experience performing complex reconciliations is required.
- Experience working effectively with large volumes of information is required.
- Possesses excellent communication skills including written, verbal, interpersonal, and proof reading to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Prior exposure to and experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Finance systems such as Workday Financials, Adaptive Insights, and Salesforce (advanced training in these systems will be provided after hire) is preferred.
Computer Applications: Demonstrated experience working with current software applications to conduct analysis using current office software applications such as MS Excel (e.g., pivot tables, Vlook-ups, macros, etc.) is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous experience developing and managing budgets.
- Experienced in managing financial and budgetary streams with multiple partners and customers, including chargeback.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of accounting principles, including fund accounting.
- Experience creating and maintaining complex Excel models with advanced functionality.
- Extensive experience interacting with customers, including resolution of complex inquiries, and effectively prioritizing during high-volume timeframes.
- Experience supporting system testing and/or data validation activities.
- Ability to independently plan, organize, research, and prioritize workload.
- Ability to create and assimilate business process documentation.
- Has a focus on continuous improvement.
Diverse and Inclusive Teams is a core value of UVAFinance: We value diversity, equity, inclusivity, and respect. We strive to create a culture where every team member feels included and valued, and where different backgrounds, perspectives, and ideas are celebrated. UVAFinance is committed to the belief that diversity in all its forms is not merely a desirable complement to excellence; it is an essential component of it. The diversity of our team itself, and our team’s commitment to the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion, strengthens our ability to effectively serve staff, faculty, students, suppliers, and the University community. Within UVAFinance, we are taking these efforts seriously, both in terms of our service to the University, the community, and our commitment to our employees.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $70,000 - $90,000 (commensurate with qualifications) with UVA Benefits.
For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Bethany Case, Academic Recruiter. Applicant review will begin March 1. This position will remain open until filled.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Senior Business Analysts". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.