Job location: 100 AVON ST
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-19
The General Counsel acts as one of the principal liaisons between the University of Virginia Physicians Group, UPG, and the clinical departments, the UVA Medical Center and the UVA School of Medicine to develop, maintain and monitor legal and contractual operations to meet the goals of UPG. The General Counsel serves as counsel to UPG and its wholly owned subsidiaries providing advice and counsel on legal and regulatory aspects of business matters as chief in-house legal adviser. These include, but are not limited to, compliance, privacy, risk management, contracting, facilities development and administration and all other ongoing and new business interests. The General Counsel serves as Secretary of the UPG Board of Directors and provides support to the Chief Executive Officer of UPG and the President of UPG.
- Serves as primary in-house legal advisor to UPG, its governing Boards and each subsidiary corporation.
- Manages all aspects of the Office of Legal Affairs. Selects, trains, develops and supervises departmental personnel. Manages and evaluates the performance of the attorneys and all other staff to ensure quality of service and technical expertise.
- Provides staff support to the UPG Board of Directors and committees of the Board.
- Prepares special reports, statistics, and data analysis as required by the CEO.
- Transmits to the Board information, documents, and reports as directed by the CEO.
- Prepares and monitors the annual budget for the Office of Legal Affairs.
- Develops and communicates the Office of Legal Affairs short and long-range goals compatible with the objectives of UPG and the UVA Health System. Participates in strategic planning on policy, economic and regulatory issues.
- Assumes final accountability for preparation, technical and regulatory compliance, and knowledge of content of all contracts managed by the Office of Legal Affairs.
- Responsible for operational implementation of contractual strategy.
- Responsible for implementation of contract review and execution process.
- Serves as primary legal point for all managed care contracting. Supports all managed care initiatives and identifies impact from health care legislation related to the managed care function.
- Oversees regulatory, compliance and privacy programs including all insurance and risk management contracts and initiatives.
- Provides legal advice on structuring of new and joint ventures and outreach activities and manages the necessary legal documentation for such activities.
- Maintains collaborative and cooperative relationships among UPG Office of Legal Affairs and the clinical departments, UVA School of Medicine, UVA Medical Center, Piedmont Liability Trust and related entities.
- Manages legal and billing collections issues impacting UPG and clinical departments.
- Provides advice and renders opinions to management, executive leadership and Boards of UPG with respect to the legal implications involved in establishing or changing company policy.
- Provides ongoing management of relationship with outside counsel both generally and specifically related to a variety of legal matters impacting UPG.
- Coordinates with Piedmont Liability Trust on all legal matters involving physician employees, including malpractice actions and related procedural requirements.
- Provides legal support and oversight of all personnel matters impacting UPG physicians and staff, to include employee grievances, contractual issues and potential claims against UPG.
- Informs executive leadership of all potential legislation impacting the UPG operations, particularly related to health care reform.
- Confers with company officers and other legal counsel on a variety of legal matters.
- Drafts, revises, and reviews for legal appropriateness corporate and clinical department contracts.
- Works with representatives from various departments on developing and modifying practices and procedures to conform to legal and regulatory requirements, as assigned.
- Provides and manages the provision of legal advice to UPG and Clinical Departments.
- Supports and participates in various UPG Teams.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Completes other projects and tasks as requested by the Boards and/or CEO.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree and Law degree.
EXPERIENCE: Ten years of corporate law experience to include:
- Five years of experience in health care law.
- Knowledge of the principles of management sufficient to direct professional staff and coordinate all applicable aspects involved with requirements of the Office of Legal Affairs.
- Working knowledge of federal and state health care and insurance laws and regulations.
- Experience in a tertiary-care and/or large academic/teaching health care institution and/or multi-specialty group practice preferred.
LICENSURE: Active Virginia law license or Virginia Corporate Counsel registration within one year.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.