Lab Safety & Industrial Hygiene Services Officer
Job no: 507426
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Environmental Health & Safety
Categories: Occupational & Environmental Safety
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general supervision of the Chemical Safety Services Manager, or other individual as designated by the Executive Director, provides comprehensive laboratory safety and industrial hygiene services to the University campus community including risk assessments, inspections, training and management of PPE for all laboratories. Industrial hygiene services including exposure assessment, advising on mitigation strategies, occupational health programs, training, incident investigation, and reporting to the University campus community.
- Performs inspection, identification, evaluation, elimination, and control of chemical, physical, environmental and ergonomic health hazards.
- Works closely with the Institutional Chemical Hazards Committee, Laboratory Safety Coordinators, Facilities and Campus Planning staff and Physical Plant staff to recognize, evaluate and control potentially hazardous occupational exposures.
- Conducts on-site assessments of safety systems, chemical and hazardous handling procedures and storage facilities, etc., and inspection of all science, research and other laboratories.
- Responds to emergencies and laboratory incidents (inc. off hours) such as chemical spills, gas leaks, asbestos, toxic exposures, etc. Conducts injury and illness investigations, writes reports and maintains records.
- Teaches pertinent seminars, training sessions and workshops to students, faculty and staff.
- Initiates, develops, obtains approval, and implements policies, systems and standards for safety and industrial hygiene, and audit same.
- Performs administrative tasks: compile monthly and annual reports, assist in review of program goals and objectives.
- Maintains up to date competency in professional field.
- Maintains liaison with federal, state and private agencies and universities.
- Performs needed calibrations of instruments used in performance of duties.
- Understands and contribute to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a multicultural environment.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree Chemistry, Science, Industrial Hygiene or related field plus 2 years relevant experience (practicing laboratory safety, or working in a research laboratory, or combination).
- Understanding of scientific practices and procedures and knowledge of laboratory/chemical safety principles and practices.
- Understanding of the current compliance requirements applicable to specialized research activities and facilities.
- Demonstrated ability to educate others in safe work practices and facilitate laboratory trainings.
- Ability to promote and assure continuous improvement. Establish and maintain productive relationships with a full range of personnel that reflect a strong commitment to customer service and collegiality.
- An enthusiastic work ethic and the ability to effectively mitigate potentially stressful situations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and judgment are critical; demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in word processing, spreadsheets, and various computer data management systems used in professional management organizations.
- Ability to work in confined hazardous environments wearing protective clothing and self-contained breathing apparatus required.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master's degree in Chemistry, Science, Industrial Hygiene or related field plus 1 year relevant experience (practicing laboratory safety, or working in a research laboratory, or combination).
- Chemical Hygiene Officer upon hire.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist upon hire.
Monday-Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by March 5, 2021. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Feb 19 2021 Eastern Standard Time