Sr. Project Manager, Construction
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-19
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Senior Project Manager, Construction manages construction projects and ensures that they are completed on time and in accordance with each project’s plan and specifications. Specifically, the Senior Project Manager, Construction directs and supervises construction staff, architects, engineers, and support personnel and inspects the construction of facilities.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
Assures that construction phasing, conflicts between contractors, and contract compliance issues are addressed. Provides oversight of the status of contract submittals processing and assures prompt action is taken to maintain appropriate response within contract requirements. Ensures that regular construction progress meetings are conducted between contractors, designers, and inspectors to review procedures, progress, scheduling, and changes to the work. Monitors the contractors’ implementation and maintenance of safety programs. Reviews all proposed changes to the construction contracts, and assures proper application and interpretation of the contract documents. Guarantees the successful resolution and correction of Notices of Non-Compliance. Assesses the schedules submitted by contractors and monitors each contractor’s monthly submittals of schedules. Establishes and continuously assesses the effectiveness of the internal controls within the unit and compliance with University policies and procedures. Ensures employees are trained on controls within the function and on University policy and procedures.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 10 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Knowledge of business and management principles.
- Ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate department operations.
- Ability to establish department goals and objectives that support the strategic plan.
- Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop and train others.
- Commitment to the University's core values.
Department Specific Functions
Broad Scope and Function of Job:
The Sr. Project Manager, Construction position is responsible for managing Capital Construction projects at the University of Miami on the medical campuses. The Sr. Project Manager, Construction oversees all aspects of project management, including administering and subcontracting agents, services, and professionals required for successful completion of the projects. The Sr. Project Manager, Construction will maintain direct supervision of project team and will maintain current and accurate project budget and schedules. They are responsible for maintaining customer satisfaction, accurate communication with end users, administration and other team members.
The position reports to the Executive Director, Facilities Planning & Construction.
General Description of Duties and Requirements:
Plans, develops, administers, and coordinates all functions, projects, and services for a subdivision of a major UHealth-wide designated unit that provides services for the entire UHealth Campus. Sr. Project Manager will be expected to possess problem solving skills and utilize them as necessary in the execution of their job to resolve issues as they may arise. Exercises full responsibility and accountability for project schedules and budgets. Works with University Architect’s office and reviews project design documents for compliance with UM design guidelines and other applicable codes, as well as for constructability. Works with Campus Planning and assists in the update of the UHealth’s Master plans and design guidelines. Knowledge of project scheduling & budget software.
Detailed Description of Duties Associated with this Position:
All regular functions are carried out on a project basis with projects assigned by the Executive Director, Facilities Planning & Construction including, but not limited to:
- Jointly plan, program, manage, and assist in coordination of multiple capital construction projects consistent with the goals and priorities of the University.
- Coordinates submittal to Florida’s Agency for Healthcare administration for approval and quality standards.
- Maintain continuous coordination and dialogue with the architect/engineer, customer, user, and Facilities Operations & Planning to ensure University requirements are incorporated in the design of assigned projects.
- Manage all facets of assigned projects from conception through design, construction permitting, and user occupancy, as necessary to guarantee a quality project on schedule and within budget.
- Prepare feasibility, constructability, and value engineering analysis from the concept stage of assigned projects.
- Carry out review of drawings and specifications at each stage of design completion to ensure quality and accuracy of plans, compliance with University standards, project goals, and objectives.
- Develop project contracting and bid strategy and manage associated meetings.
- Manage the construction, design, and associated consultant’s contracts, and direct the interaction of architects, engineers, and contractors during all phases of assigned projects.
- Maintain accurate project budgets, schedule, and quality management indicators, including infection control and life safety risk assessments. Participate in continuous improvement processes.
- Keep client informed of progress and change actions during the project on a weekly basis. Generate monthly status reports incorporating updated schedules, cost projections, photos, and status and prepare cost reports on a regular basis.
- Obtain technical base data and provide same to appropriate design entities (such as ground surveys, reference drawings, test, and boring data) including “as-builts” and Facilities Condition Reports and provide same to appropriate design entities.
- Assist users with the securing of office furniture, telephones, keying & locks, moving, and all other components required to produce a “turn-key” project.
- Excellent customer service, communications, and interpersonal skills. Must be professional, responsive, and reliable and exceed customer expectations.
- All other duties as assigned.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c109