Administrative Assistant II
The University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Department of Advanced Oral Sciences and Therapeutics (AOST) is seeking an Administrative Assistant II. The AOST department is comprised of five divisions to include Dental Hygiene, Endodontics, Periodontics, Prosthodontics and Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering. This position will provide general support to the Senior Program Specialist and the department Chair, specific administrative support to the AOST faculty, and a variety of support to day-to-day departmental operations. This position serves as a central communication hub for this large and diverse department.
• Serve as a Travel Administrator making travel arrangements and processing travel requests and travel reimbursement for AOST faculty and residents. Interacts with internal and external customers of the university. Handles sensitive and confidential information with tact and discretion.
• Assist the department Chairperson maintain his/her calendar, making appointments, scheduling meetings, coordinating, and communicating department activities and events.
• Provide direct administrative support to the department programs and faculty in general by serving as the “face” of the AOST department. This includes but is not limited to answering the main department telephone line, offering guidance on department programs and policies, and directing callers to the appropriate faculty or staff member as needed.
• Perform a full range of clerical to paraprofessional duties related to the day-to-day operations of the AOST department, such as sorting the mail, maintaining department copiers, making room reservations, and preparing correspondence. Suggest, recommend, and implement new or revised department procedures or policies. Follow established guidelines to collect, compile, and organize department data. Assist in planning, organizing, and coordinating all department meetings and events to include managing rsvp’s, ordering food, and spearheading logistics.
• Provide general administrative/academic support to department faculty which may include but not limited to making copies for courses and exams, assisting in the unpacking, sorting, and transporting of supplies for hands on courses and labs.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or GED. Experience: Three (3) years of experience providing administrative support. Other: Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:• Must be detail-oriented, demonstrate proficiency of technical skills necessary to maintain department data/spreadsheets.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills are required to interact with various on-campus and off campus populations.
• Ability to effectively communicate both verbal (in-person and telephone) and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
• Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and utilizes technology to complete assignments and reports. Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base.
• Ability to work cooperatively with others and always demonstrate professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with co-workers to meet customer (student and faculty) expectations.
• A high degree of self-motivation and ability to manage multiple activities, deadlines, and maintain optimum productivity.
• Demonstrated sensitivity and discretion in handling matters affecting students, faculty, advisors, administrators, and community members. Ability to maintain confidentiality of subjects and information obtained, be able to perform duties of the position in compliance with all requirements, regulations, and laws, especially the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).Other: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class maybe substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience. Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are not eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union). Hiring Range: Salary starts at $42,000 and is commensurate with education and experience. If accommodations are needed at any stage of the recruitment process, contact Staffing & Career Services at [email protected] UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Job: Reg or CII Non-Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Dentistry - Endodonics/Pros/Oper Dent
Job Posting: Feb 19, 2021
Unposting Date: Feb 26, 2021, 11:59:00 PM