Specialist, Laboratory Research
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Department of Pediatrics, Critical Care is seeking a Laboratory Research Specialist to join the Center for Blood Oxygen Transport and Hemostasis. The Center focuses on exploring the physiology of acquired red cell injury, the development of a novel bio-synthetic artificial red cell, and on translational transfusion medicine in the ICU setting. The selected candidate will perform independent COVID-19 related projects and participate in the design of research studies.
UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
• Perform independent project(s) and participate in the design of research studies.
• Compile, analyze, and interpret research data using various relevant computer software applications.
• Independently perform day to day laboratory research activities such as: general housekeeping, daily observations of animal health; collection of cultures and biological specimens for diagnostic testing and monitoring of animal health; diagnostic molecular (ELISA), bacteriological, or biological assays; breeding colonization processes; irradiation of blood products; and executing biochemical or hematopoietic procedures such as: bone marrow aspirations, complete blood count, white cell differential, electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, PCR and DNA extractions, etc.; and may require performing psychological enrichment of certain species.
• Administer day-to-day laboratory operations including monitoring the budget, ensuring quality control and safety compliance, developing policies and procedures, and ordering supplies.
• Maintain proper operation of research equipment, ensuring proper operation records, cleaning, ordering of required components and explaining/resolving technical issues.
• Conduct library research and participates in editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication.
• Contribute to the preparation of journal articles and grant proposals. Presents research findings. Prepare materials for research studies, including sample collection kits and research documents.
• Assist in the training of undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral, international fellows, and/or junior technical personnel in the performance of a variety of laboratory techniques.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or field of study related to the research of the laboratory. Experience: Three (3) years of experience including two (2) years in the relevant research specialization. Other: May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience. If accommodations are needed at any stage in the recruitment process, contact Staffing & Career Services at [email protected] UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Pediatrics
Job Posting: Feb 19, 2021
Unposting Date: Mar 5, 2021, 11:59:00 PM