Open Rank - Lecturer or Teaching Assistant Professor
PG190805EPInternal Recruitment :
Open Rank - Lecturer or Teaching Assistant ProfessorAnticipated Hiring Range:
$40,000 - $52,000 (Commensurate with Experience)Work Schedule:
Hours may vary.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Health and Exercise StudiesAbout the Department:
North Carolina State University is a land-grant university and home to about 35,000 students and is situated in the piedmont region of North Carolina. The Department of Health and Exercise Studies is part of University College (UC). UC serves as an incubator for interdisciplinary programs and is home to a variety of academic units and programs that are uniquely situated in the university structure to engage every undergraduate student. UC faculty and staff, often through collaboration with a broad range of campus partners, provide innovative experiential learning opportunities, centralized curricular and cross-curricular programs, academic support, and other resources that enhance the student learning experience. Timely degree completion and accomplishment of academic and career goals are fostered through interdisciplinary academic programs, academic planning and support, continuous faculty and staff development, and high impact educational practices.
The mission of the Department of Health and Exercise Studies (HES) is to foster an inclusive academic environment in which to educate and inspire students to build and sustain a healthy body and mind for lifelong productivity and wellbeing. HES offers a variety of both activity and lecture courses that fulfill GEP and minor curriculum. HES’ five academic minors include Coaching Education, Health, Outdoor Leadership, Sports Science, and Dance. More information about the department can be found at https://hes.dasa.ncsu.edu
Inclusiveness and diversity are integral to NC State’s commitment to excellence in research, engagement, and education. We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students from diverse backgrounds, and/or incorporating diverse perspectives in scholarly or creative work.Essential Job Duties:
- The Department of Health and Exercise Studies (HES) seeks applicants for a full-time, non-tenure track, renewable contract faculty position to begin in the upcoming Spring 2022 semester. Primary responsibilities include teaching an estimated eight credit hours per semester with a focus on somatic, dance, and health and fitness related classes.
- This position will also include departmental and university committee participation, as well as equipment planning and procurement for areas of expertise.
- Teaching somatics courses (Yoga, Pilates) will be the main focus and other dance, health, and fitness related classes as scheduling allows.
- Presenting at multiple professional workshops, clinics, conferences, or conventions appropriate to the area of expertise during the appointment is expected at the Teaching Assistant Professor level.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Requires doctor’s degree in Physical Education, Recreation, or related field, a terminal degree, an equivalent degree, or equivalent professional experience for Teaching Assistant Professor. Degree must be completed prior to January 2022.
Candidates must have expertise in either Pilates mat, and/or Yoga, as well as other health/fitness/minor courses offered by the department.Preferred Qualifications:
- PMA Certified Teacher (or equivalent) or RYT 200 (or above) certifications are preferred. It is preferred that candidates have expertise in teaching several of the following departmental courses. Examples include: gymnastics, fitness (aerobics, water aerobics, weight training, running), ultimate frisbee, racquet sports, aquatics (scuba, lifeguard training, swim instruction), and/or dance (from several of the following genres: jazz, tap, clogging, social dance, country dance, hip hop, Native American dances, or dances from Africa, Asia, South or Central America, or their diasporic forms).
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED certification is required and must be maintained.
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
02/17/2021Anticipated Close Date:
4/17/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Successful/on-campus interviewees will be expected to submit 3 letters of reference.
Non-Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
9 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
248301 - Health and Exercise StudiesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.