Director of Public Relations
Director of Public RelationsAnticipated Hiring Range:
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm additional hours as requiredJob Location:
University CommunicationsAbout the Department:
University Communications and Marketing is NC State’s dedicated communications agency. Our team provides leadership, strategy, services and support to advance the NC State brand and help the university achieve its core mission.
University Communications, a unit of University Communications and Marketing, informs both internal and external audiences about NC State’s achievements in solution-driven research, interdisciplinary innovation, experiential education and partnerships with business and industry.Essential Job Duties:
- The Director of Public Relations, reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for University Communications, is a key member of NC State’s University Communications team and plays a lead role in managing public relations, issues management and crisis communications across campus. This new position works to promote the university and enhance its reputation statewide, regionally and nationally in partnership with team members within University Communications and Marketing, colleagues across campus and university leadership. In addition, this position is responsible for directing the university’s issues management program, which includes drawing on polished leadership and collaborative qualities to build best practices across campus, forecast and triage potential issues, and execute appropriate internal and external communication strategies as needed.
- The ideal candidate must be a natural networker who earns trust easily, is crafty with the written word and is not afraid to be the one in the room that everyone turns to for clarity and direction in the toughest situations. The ideal candidate will thrive under deadlines and leverage their impressive organizational skills to keep many projects moving forward. He/She must have a demonstrated ability in managing crisis and/or emergency communications in a high-stress, highly visible environment, as well as anticipating, analyzing and responding to emerging issues. The ideal candidate must also have the ability to build and maintain strong working relationships across different departments and roles within an organization as well as external constituents and media agencies. The candidate must have experience advising on and running successful outreach campaigns, as well as be savvy in identifying stakeholders and appropriate tactics.
- The Director of Public Relations will work closely with team members in University Communications and Marketing as well as lead communicators across NC State to ensure consistent proactive outreach, including the media relations team, research communicators, social media and digital specialists, marketing specialists, advancement officers, creative teams and more. The Director of Public Relations will contribute to the media training program and serve as a consultant to campus partners, including leadership, faculty and staff.
- In addition to strategic communications planning, the Director of Public Relations will also produce communications materials including key messages, scripts, website content, stakeholder announcements, presentations and other needed communications. This is a highly visible role that bears partial responsibility for creating messaging delivered by the Chancellor and other executive-level communicators.
- Additional duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree and three years of experience in the area of assignment, of which at least one is supervisory or in a lead-worker capacity; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications:
- Familiarity with North Carolina higher education and its current issues and challenges
- Knowledge of and familiarity with NC State University and its market position among North Carolina institutions of higher education.
- Success utilizing photography, video, Web and social media to help achieve organizational communications goals
- Demonstrated understanding of the political and cultural environment in North Carolina
- Experience in higher education
- Proven ability as a team leader
- An understanding and appreciation for the mission of a major international public research university
- Experience appropriately managing sensitive information
- Experience appropriately managing reputational issues, crisis and emergencies
- Experience in building and maintaining relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders at varying levels in an organization
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or related field
- At least 5-7 years of directly relevant experience
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Professional experience communicating key messages to diverse targeted public across platforms, particularly under stressful and deadline-driven circumstances
- Demonstrated experience and success in public relations and issues management
- Demonstrated experience managing crisis and/or emergency communications in a high-stress environment
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate, analyze and respond to emerging issues
- Proven track record in achieving measurable goals
- Ability to make clear, concise decisions that guide effective outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus inside and outside the organization
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and be an effective part of a larger team
- Experience with media and messaging training and varying levels of an organization (i.e. leadership, frontline staff, etc.)
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
02/19/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
University Program ManagerPosition Classification Band Level:
AdvancedPosition Classification Salary Range:
$44,996 - $115,077Salary Grade Equivalency:
Director of Public RelationsAlternate Option:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
081001 - University CommunicationsAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.