Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with Education and Experience ($52,000 - $57,000)Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pmJob Location:
CALS PersonnelAbout the Department:
North Carolina State University is a Land Grant institution. As such it is uniquely positioned among institutions in the UNC System to offer extended opportunities for citizens across the state. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) is charged with furthering this mission and oversees the operations, not only for traditional campus based personnel, but for a variety of employee groups across the state in the research stations, centers, field labs and other offices.
The CALS Personnel Office is a centralized HR Office within the College, responsible for delivering appropriate personnel services to these statewide employees, as well as campus based EHRA, SHRA, bi-weekly, no-pays, postdoc, foreign nationals, and visiting employees. Given the size, scope and complexity of units served, the CALS Personnel Office is one of the most complex and active personnel offices on campus. The office is currently composed of 6 HR professionals (Asst Dean and 5 HR specialists) responsible for delivering the full complement of HR services for more than 1250 EHRA and SHRA employees, 1,000 temporary and student workers and 100 post doc positions, excluding NC State Extension County Operations personnel.
Under our current operations, and as subject to change, it is anticipated that this position will work remotely through August 1st. A hybrid remote / onsite arrangement is expected after this time, consistent with ongoing University guidelines and supervisory discretion. The finalist will be assigned equipment necessary to perform the essential functions remotely.Essential Job Duties:
- The Human Resources Specialist provides consultative generalist Human Resources services for assigned CALS departments, faculty, staff and administration of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS), with a focus on EHRA (including faculty and professional staff), SHRA, Post Doc and bi-weekly positions. As the central point of contact, the HR Specialist facilitates the human resources needs around the entire employment cycle including hiring, management, training, compensation, benefits and separation. The position counsels employees and management throughout the cycle of employment (college onboarding, professional development, changes in position, etc.) as well as counsels on a variety of complex concerns and answers questions.
- The HR Specialist recommends structural changes, and works with leadership for buy in and resources for necessary structural changes. The CALS employee base includes positions funded across all account ledgers, and the HR Specialist considers these sources of funding in determining and recommending solutions. The position will also draft, review, edit and post vacancy announcements. The HR Specialist actively seeks out ways to promote activities leading to broader engagement and that foster inclusiveness and diversity. The position provides guidance and education on policies and procedures, the salary review process, legislative and UNC System requirements, market adjustments, reclassifications. The HR Specialist makes initial determination regarding equity and market at the college level and works closely with campus HR as required to accomplish college needs. Along with other HR Specialist on the team, this works closely with leaders and hiring officials to assess needs, perform and/or guide in job analysis process, create and update positions (including HR system entry) according to the unit and college needs.
- This position serves as a CALS liaison to the University’s central HR office and ensures that work submitted for endorsement with employment, employee relations, and classification/compensation is accurate, representative of college needs, and applies knowledge of university and state processes/policies. This position will make initial recommendations on appropriate classification and compensation in consultation with University HR partners. Along with other HR Specialist on the team, recommends and drafts college HR procedures to improve services as needed.
- The HR Specialist serves as a subject matter expert for college and university policies in coordination with campus HR. This position implements and enforces policy changes. Partners with managers to communicate human resources policies, procedures, programs, and laws. Along with other HR Specialist on the team, this position coordinates the SHRA and EHRA performance management program for the College. This position follows-up with managers to ensure completion, consults and advises with managers on content of appraisals and follows-up when manager or employee comments indicate needed HR action(s) and documents compliance. Along with other HR Specialists, coordinate Leave Administration and WolfTime requirements for assigned units. This position coordinates with campus HR teams and CALS HR partners to share HR practices, tools and information to ensure a level of consistency across the college. Works with the campus HR teams on special projects as needed. This HR Specialist position requires an understanding of, and commitment to, the mission and vision of the College.
- This position is expected to use this commitment to drive an organizational culture of engagement, accountability, community and growth. The HR Specialist actively promotes values based solutions, anchored in the College’s and University core values as incorporated in the respective strategic plans. This position maintains appropriate personnel records and ensures compliance with federal and state posting requirements. This position serves as AA reviewer for all HR actions ensuring adherence to, and compliance with, all applicable governing laws.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications:
- Because this position serves in a generalist capacity and is responsible for HR functions in support of EHRA, SHRA, Postdocs and Bi-Weekly employees, the successful candidate must be resourceful, and demonstrate strong knowledge and understanding of governing policies for each employee category.
- This position is fast pace and has a high transactional volume, the successful candidate must be comfortable fielding multiple requests from customers with competing deadlines.
- Must have a personal commitment to high ethical standards, and personal and organizational accountability is required.
- The position serves as an integral member of a team, and therefore, the successful candidate must have a strong commitment to teamwork, information sharing and collaboration.
- Must have a passion for, and commitment to, providing exceptional customer service, strong attention to detail; the ability to assess and meet the needs of customers; strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet multiple objectives and deadlines. Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to coach clients and provide constructive feedback.
- Ability to explain and train others to understand detailed and technical program information, guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Ability to manage competing demands with a high level of independence and accountability.
- Must be able to understand complex functions and tailor recommendations appropriately.
- Must be able to cultivate outstanding relationships with department heads, unit heads and personnel representatives.
- The successful candidate will embrace serving as the point person for all areas of HR for their assigned departments.
- A working knowledge of MS Office is required and, most importantly, an intermediate level knowledge of Excel is required.
- Prior human resources experience is needed.
- Knowledge of CALS, NC State and State human resources policies, procedures and regulations.
- Experience working with University software systems (e.g. PeopleSoft HR, PeopleAdmin,).
- PHR, SHRM -CP or other relevant credentials preferred.
- Higher education human resources experience is preferred.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
02/19/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Applicant required documents: Cover Letter, Resume, Contact Information for ReferencesPosition Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Human Resources SpecialistPosition Classification Band Level:
AdvancedPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $64,530Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
110310 - CALS PersonnelAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.