Research Lab Tech I
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Youk lab aims to understand how living systems bidirectionally transition between being alive and being either truly dead or seemingly dead. They try to identify all the ways in which these transitions can occur. By doing so, they hope to discover common, quantitative principles that underlie them. They are particularly eager to unveil principles that allow life to be restarted after it has nearly/completely ceased. Studies use microbes and mammalian cells (e.g., yeasts and mouse embryonic stem cells). They combine experiments, mathematical models, and ideas rooted in statistical physics to achieve our goal. Experience in molecular biology or cell culture preferred. Preferred start asap but by July 2021 at the latest.
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Laboratory Technician I, performs a variety of specimen preparatory techniques, dry lab data collection, and routine laboratory maintenance.
- Perform a variety of laboratory experiments using both routine and special techniques and methods
- Assist in more complex laboratory tasks
- Collect, analyze, and process laboratory samples
- Record results, organize data, and perform basic computations
- Maintain laboratory supplies and equipment
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Ability to perform duties independently
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator or designee
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionucleotides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.