Facilities Maintenance Technician
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Tuition Assistant Program
Long/Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Generous Paid Time Off
12 Paid Holidays
* includes domestic partner coveragePOSITION SUMMARY: The Facilities Maintenance Technician is responsible for daily support and execution of campus facilities maintenance, custodial services and other general campus operations. Incumbent must strive to provide a safe, clean and efficiently operating campus environment supportive of learning and growth. This role requires the familiarity of a variety of trades including, but not limited to basic plumbing, carpentry, minor electrical, roofing, landscaping and various HVAC systems. Qualified applicants must perform as the main point of contact for all campus facility related requests, while adhering to all safety protocols. University philosophy is considered in carrying out duties and responsibilities of position: quality services to clients (students, faculty, staff & visitors); development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Monitor the campus facilities to ensure a safe, clean, efficiently operating and productive work environment.
- Serve as campus liaison to all vendors, contractors, security and suppliers.
- Coordinate and execute facilities/grounds maintenance and janitorial needs, may work alone or with a crew.
- Schedule and organize any service work performed by technicians, vendors and contractors relative to repairs, cleaning and security operations.
- Perform maintenance repairs for basic plumbing, minor electrical, carpentry, HVAC systems, roofing and general landscaping.
- Conduct regular building rounds and submit reports to Facilities Management to ensure cleaning and maintenance crews are keeping facilities clean and equipment in working order.
- Respond to client inquires and complaints. Ensure timely and quality service delivery to clients. Follow up with clients to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Setup group moves and events within campus and direct cleaning staff to ensure areas are clean and orderly.
- Maintain office and desk key inventory including inventory control and an accurate list of keys assigned to employees and contractors.
- Maintain a detailed understanding of the campus facilities systems and equipment
- Order and maintain inventory of building materials and supplies as required
- Ensure South University standards of performance and safety are maintained.
- Keep and maintain accurate work records
- Other duties as needed.
- High school degree required.
- 2-5 years of solid experience in the maintenance industry preferably in a post-secondary institution.
- Understands working methods and procedures used in cleaning and minor maintenance of buildings
- Understands qualities and uses of all cleaning equipment and maintenance tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a wide variety of populations.
- Superior organization, prioritization, self-motivation, and problem resolution skills.
- Must be a well-rounded individual who can perform on a variety of cleaning and maintenance tasks each day.
- Ability to frequently lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand and walk for lengthy periods of time.
- Frequently lift up to 25 pounds, occasional heavy lifting of up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally climbs up to 15 feet with a ladder
- Exposure to heavy dust, dirt, chemical or paint fumes, or other airborne matter
- Exposure to extreme heat, electric current, hazardous chemicals or other potential hazards
- Sitting or standing for extended periods with no control over rest periods
- Pushes/pulls brooms, vacuums, buffers, scrubbers, cleaning carts
- Must bend, stoop and crawl and occasionally operate hedge trimmers, pressure washers and leaf blowers
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
Other detailsRequired EducationHigh School Apply Now
- South University Virginia Beach, VA, 301 Bendix Road, Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States of America