Full Time Faculty, Physician Assistant
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Tuition Assistant Program
Long/Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Generous Paid Time Off
12 Paid Holidays
* includes domestic partner coveragePOSITION SUMMARY: The Principal Faculty member as a Full-time Faculty Instructor in the Physician Assistant Program is primarily responsible for course instruction and/or course coordination in the didactic and/or clinical phase of the program. It is expected that a Principal Faculty/Faculty Instructor will be effective in the areas of course design, course delivery, and evaluation. The Principal Faculty/Faculty Instructor is instrumental in assisting the program to ensure that students consistently meet the program’s Student Learning Outcomes to achieve competencies required for PA practice. The Principal Faculty/Faculty Instructor is guided by the Directors of Didactic/Clinical Education and the Program Director in assisting the program with curriculum assessment and meeting the ARC-PA accreditation standards. The Principal Faculty/Faculty Instructor (Full-time) is a member of the faculty (rank commensurate with experience) with the Physician Assistant Program. The incumbent must assure that the South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position, which includes quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and maintenance of an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking, and expansion.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Provides teaching and instruction in the PA program including:
- Coordination of instruction for aminimum of 6 courses annually.
- Lecturing in areas of clinical and/or professional expertise.
- Providing academic advising as a Small Group Facilitator and Student Advisor.
- Assists the Director of Didactic Education in the administrative coordination of thedidactic phase of the program.
- Assists the Director of Clinical Education in the administrative coordination of theclinical phase of the program.
- Assists with curriculum development, which includes the design and implementation of the curriculum.
- Assists with ongoing curriculum evaluation and improvement.
- Performs student evaluations of objective structured clinical examinations (OSCEs), lab practicals, as well as clinical reasoning, problem-solving, and technical skills sessions during the didactic and clinical phases of the program.
- Evaluates student performance of submitted assignments, including written clinical documentation, evidence-based medicine research, and health literacy projects.
- Creates examinations for courses and maps exam questions to ARC-PA accreditation standards and the NCCPA Content Blueprint.
- Provides input to assist with accreditation activities, as well as ongoing program evaluation and mission statement review.
- Participates in the program's admissions process to include student recruitment, student evaluation (through application review and candidate interviews), and student selection meetings.
- Engages in service, community and campus relations, and scholarly activities appropriate to the role of a Principal Faculty (Full-time) member.
- Participates in faculty development opportunities each year as required in the areas of teaching and academic administration.
- Assists with clinical site development and clinical site monitoring.
- Providesremedial instruction as needed.
- Assists with other responsibilities as determined by the Directors of Didactic/Clinical Education, Program Director, and/or the Campus Dean of Academic Affairs.
- Performs duties as assigned and outlined in the Faculty job description and in accordance with the provisions of Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee Handbook.
- Terminal Degree as a Physician Assistant; Current NCCPA Certification; eligible for State Licensure as a PA.
- 1-2 years academic experience highly preferred; 3 years clinical experience required.
- Experience in PA/medical classroom teaching preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills withstudent and staff populations.
- Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation skills.
- Strong computer skills, including MS OfficeSuite, ExamSoft, and WebAdMIT.
- Ability to interact effectively as a member of a team and work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret, and implement accreditation criteria and state agency regulations.
- Ability to resolve inquiries and complaints from employees, students, regulatory agencies, or members of theacademic or business community.
- Ability to listen to customers (e.g. staff, students, etc.) and to understand and respond positively to their requests.
- Ability to adapt to changing assignments and multiple priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive. Other detailsRequired EducationMaster’s Degree Apply Now
- South University Richmond, VA, 2151 Old Brick Road, Glen Allen, Virginia, United States of America