HR Consultant 1 - Benefits
HR Consultant 1 - BenefitsPosting Number:
HR Consultant 1Classification Code:
119ERCW Exemption Criteria:
No ExemptionEWU Position Number:
Non-ExemptBargaining Unit :
BU 1% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
CS - 46Salary Information:
$44,268 – $58,020Anticipated Start Date:
TBDTerm of Appointment:
Yes - BothResponsible HR User:
Vara Lyn ConrathResponsible HR User Email address:
- Eastern Washington University is currently seeking a team oriented Human Resources Consultant 1 for the Benefits office which is part of Human Resources.
- This position coordinates the daily functions associated with the administration of the employees’ benefits package, including in-depth knowledge of medical, dental, life, long term disability insurances, deferred compensation programs and various retirement plans.
- This position frequently works on confidential, highly personal matters involving all employees. Ensuring the integrity of the confidentiality of information handled by this office is upheld at all times and discretion is essential.
- Demonstrated high-level attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, handle and meet multiple deadlines and daily job responsibilities simultaneously in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated strong technical skills related to data entry of financial or benefit information.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborative and customer service work style with the ability to modify communication style and techniques based on audience.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality, including meeting HIPAA standards.
- On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 11 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- This position is covered by the Washington Federation of State Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]
- Most duties are performed sitting, but also involve occasional walking, standing, bending, carrying and lifting. Performs a substantial amount of computer keyboard work requiring extensive wrist and hand movements.
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field and minimum 2 years of direct experience in employee benefits “or” minimum 4 years of direct experience with employee benefits including monitoring eligibility, data entry and customer support.
- Data entry experience
- Demonstrated strong technical skills related to data entry of financial or benefit information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience working with confidential records
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Knowledge of the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, specifically PERS & TRS eligibility and reporting requirements
- Knowledge of the Washington State Health Care Authority rules and regulations and experience coordinating/consulting with the Health Care Authority
- This position is officially located on our Cheney Campus with regular office hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- We are abiding by the Governor’s guidance and allow teleworking with supervisor’s approval.
02/19/2021Open Until Further Notice:
03/07/2021Screening to Begin:
03/08/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
1.Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2.Attach a chronological resume including work history and major duties, education, and any specialized training or skills related to the position. Please list at least 3 professional references including: names, titles, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and connection to you (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
3.Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
4.Applicant Certification – please download the Certification form (link is provided in the next field); then complete and sign the form, and upload it to this link.
5.Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. You will be asked to attach a diversity response as part of the online application process: Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants for employment at any Washington State institution of higher education, are required to provide a signed statement verifying information about their history of prior sexual misconduct and providing authorization for current and previous employers to disclose relevant records to Eastern Washington University.
All applicants are required to download the statement linked below, complete and sign it, and then attach the signed statement as part of their job application: Required Applicant Certification .
Attach the completed and signed certification to the document link called Applicant Certification.
Application% of Time:
100Responsibility / Duty:
- Responsible for data entry into Banner and Health Care Authority system for all benefit deductions, while ensuring accuracy, compliancy and timeliness.
- Responsible for monitoring eligibility of non-student hourly employees for retirement participation and insurance eligibility and quarterly faculty for insurance eligibility.
- Advise employees on benefits questions, life events and other policies as applicable.
- Processes health benefits for all eligible employee’s including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance.
- Ensures processes, documents and policies are compliant with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Working knowledge and ability to provide accurate information to employee’s regarding the various retirement plans including PERS, TRS, LEOFF & EWURP (EWU Retirement Plan).
- Set up confidential personnel employee files and keep files up to date.
- Monitor daily activities and be able to identify, escalate, and resolve issues as they arise.
- Compose and prepare correspondence using word processing, graphics, statistical, spreadsheet and/or data base software; generate reports from payroll system.
- Maintain Human Resources Benefits office website.
- Responsible for keeping up to date in all plan specifications and changes for compliance with applicable WAC’s, RCW’s, IRS rules & laws.
- Coordinate and schedule multiple annual functions, workshops, seminars, briefings and meetings with public and/or other state agencies.
- May confer regularly with other organizations and agencies regarding interpretation and implementation of institutional policies related to insurance and retirement programs.
- Participates on committees and attends events as deemed appropriate and as approved.