Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 224192
Department Information Our faculty study a variety of fundamental questions ranging from neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric disorders, functions of the nervous system and regenerative medicine, using a broad repertoire of experimental approaches. A number of doctoral students of Neuroscience
and Molecular Medicine
PhD Programs are doing their thesis research in the department. The department is also a major contributor to Augusta University’s Center for Healthy Aging
, a multidisciplinary consortium whose mission to improve and restore function to injured and degenerating tissues of the human body. The department places a strong emphasis on translational research with collaborations with multiple clinical departments including Neurology, Psychiatry, Orthopaedic Surgery, Neurosurgery
.Required Qualifications Ph.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university. Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Ability to maintain confidentiality Ability to complete work and to meet deadlines Willingness and ability to work with research animals Ability to work independently with only general supervision Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills Detail-oriented with strong prioritization and organizational skills Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases or willingness to learn Responsibilities A training position designed to carry out advanced independent research to achieve the objectives of the research project, ensuring consistency with established methodological approaches and models, adherence to project timelines and completeness of documentation. Participate in research data collection and analysis; develop and evaluate new research techniques and procedures; conduct studies of related literature; write and publish articles in scientific journals. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in project planning and development of research protocols while insuring adherence to accepted scientific research principles and compliance with relevant federal guidelines. Perform a variety of experimental studies including animal behavior, cell biology and molecular biology experiments. Experiments may include but not be limited to performing animal surgery, microinjection, behavioral testing, genotyping, western blot, real-time PCR, immunohistochemistry and various microscopy and imaging techniques. Analyze results of experiments and procedures using manual or computer techniques and, if necessary, develop special computer programs to facilitate analysis.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of students, graduate assistants and other research personnel engaged in research activities and/or related laboratory work. Advise principal investigators, other postdocs, students and other research personnel on research techniques, procedures and other technological aspects of research activities.
- Compose articles for publication in scientific journals; review articles prepared by others.
- Calibrate, troubleshoot, repair and operate microscopes, computer-linked analytical equipment, dedicated computers and other complex scientific equipment; instruct others in operation of equipment.
- Perform all other related duties/tasks as assigned.
Shift/Salary Shift: Days/M-F Salary: $36, 197/Annually
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period: Until FilledConditions of Employment All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University. Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans. Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University