**INTERNAL ONLY** - Director of General Education
Job no: 495970
Work type: Full Time Permanent - Faculty
Categories: Academic Affairs, Internal Only
**Internal applications are invited to apply for the position of Director of General Education**
The Directorship is a faculty position, compensated with an eleven-month contract. The Director serves a five-year term, which is renewable one time. The Director’s teaching responsibilities are four General Education classes over the course of the eleven months. The Director reports to the Associate Provost of Academic Affairs but retains status as a tenured faculty member within his/her home academic department.
The General Education director must be:
- A tenured (as of Fall 2021) faculty member with the rank of Associate or Full Professor
- An enthusiastic and articulate proponent of the new strands-model General Education program
- An inspiring mentor, thoroughly committed to faculty development
- A participant in assessment who understands that assessment is key to sustaining a healthy General Education program
- A visible presence on campus, personally available to students and faculty during working hours
Responsibilities of the Director:
- Scheduling and Staffing of classes: The Director is primarily responsible for scheduling and staffing the Freshman Seminars and GenEd capstones. The Director will work with the relevant department heads to staff and schedule strands classes and the leadership-themed Junior Seminar.
- Faculty Development: Working closely with the Director of CEITL&DE, the Director will provide sufficient training on the six learning outcomes to faculty teaching in the Freshman Seminar, the strands classes, the leadership-themed junior Seminar, and all capstone classes that incorporate the GenEd outcomes. The Director will also monitor grade reports and student evaluation reports for all Freshman Seminars, strands classes, Junior Seminars, and GenEd capstones. The Director will also arrange for and monitor periodic class observation reports for GenEd faculty.
- Assessment: Working closely with the Director of Accreditation and Assessment and with the Associate Provost of Academic Affairs, the Director will ensure the implementation of the assessment measures prescribed for the Freshman Seminar, the strands classes, the Junior Seminar, and all the capstones that incorporate the six learning outcomes. The Director will employ several faculty members active in General Education to serve as Outcomes/Strands coordinators. These coordinators will become experts on the VALUE rubrics and will work under the Director’s supervision to ensure reliability in the evaluation of all the student work. They will also work with the faculty and department heads to ensure the coherence and distinctiveness of the different strands.
- Budget: The Director will manage the budget provided to run the General Education program.
- Leadership: The Director serves as chair of the Committee on General Education. This Committee concerns itself with the health and well-being of the General Education program.
Upon selection of the General Education director, the Office of the Provost and school dean will work with his or her home department to ensure that the home department will be able to maintain its academic mission.
Advertised: Feb 19 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Mar 12 2021 Eastern Standard Time