Coordinator Academic Programs
Job location: Boca Raton
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-03-01
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
The College of Science at Florida Atlantic University seeks scholars who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to engaging communities underrepresented in higher education. Florida Atlantic University is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that results in mutual benefit to the institution and the diverse internal and external communities that it serves.
Florida Atlantic University is seeking a Coordinator Academic Programs, Boca Raton, FL.
With over 30,000 students from all 50 states and over 180 countries, 21 intercollegiate teams, 180 plus degree programs, and an administration that thrives on discovery and excellence, FAU is pushing the boundaries of higher education. Florida Atlantic's faculty and staff are trailblazers and innovators with a passion for finding creative solutions while advancing science, art, and technology in all disciplines. Our work environment is a hub of cultures from across the nation and the world, making FAU a place where collaboration flourishes.
Summary of Responsibilities Include:
- Overseeing preparations for laboratory courses and assisting Department with daily operations of teaching facilities including but not limited to the following: direct set-up, cleaning and restocking of teaching labs; maintaining of bacterial cultures using aseptic methods and quality control; preparing reagents for laboratory exercises and culture media; maintaining working inventories of consumables including preserved organs and animals; acting as building/floor safety representative and emergency coordinator.
- Preventive maintenance and/or repair of equipment such as freezers, incubators, centrifuges, fume and laminar flow hoods in house or through outside sources as necessary and maintaining of associated records.
- Acquiring, storing and maintaining small equipment, chemical and biological inventory including preserved and live specimens, microorganism stocks with appropriate safety documentation and, in the case of microbial cultures, under the approval of FAUs OSHA Biosafety Officer.
- Working with Physical Plant in maintaining safety equipment/materials required for laboratory courses.
- Accumulating and properly storing of chemical and biological waste on site for disposal by Environmental Health and Safety and maintenance of associated records. Maintaining a clean, safe working environment in compliance with EH&S.
- Distributing, tracking and recovering keys/card access required by graduate student staff for teaching and/or material preparations.
- Implementing departmental policies related to laboratory courses and schedules.
- Advising academic program committees on such policies.
- Creating laboratory and Lifeline teaching schedules and TAs assignments.
- Providing laboratory safety training for 90+ TAs and laboratory students.
- Regulating equipment utilization, materials distribution, inventory, and sharing of supplies; assisting in the development of guidelines for graduate students and TAs.
- Advising on policies and procedures for the laboratory courses, including lab manuals and materials preparation, including but not limited to syllabi schedules and grading criteria, experimental protocols, office hours, proctoring, exam preparation, attendance policies, etc.
- Preparing and maintaining laboratories in accordance with health and safety compliance regulations and for conducting corrective steps to ensure labs are in compliance at all times.
- Interviewing, hiring, training, and conducting weekly meetings with TAs and Study Work Students.
- Supervising graduate teaching assistants assigned to laboratory preparation staff for all active wet laboratories.
- Setting up online components of supervised courses in Canvas; directing teaching assistants in the instruction of lab courses, training graduate teaching assistants on laboratory protocols, coordinating exam proctors for lecture exams and lab practical exams; and maintaining academic standards in lab protocols and assessments.
- Reviewing curriculum, updating laboratories to adapt to new technologies, creating study manual for students enrolled in Biology courses as needed/assigned.
- Assisting Department Chair, Program Director(s), and/or Department Faculty with special projects.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential to success in this position.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
Must also have excellent customer service, organizational and time management skills.Salary:$48,158.60College or Department:College of ScienceLocation:Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Hours may vary on occasion.Application Deadline: 2021-03-08-08:00Special Instructions to Applicant: Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Final candidate will be required to have official, sealed transcripts and original NACES evaluation, if applicable, sent from their educational institution to Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
A resume and a cover letter are required for this position. Make sure to attach these required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.
This recruitment has been reopened; all previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. This position may close without prior notice.