Director of Communications (5887U) - CITRIS
Director of Communications (5887U) - CITRIS About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: Immediate Review - Open until filled
The Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) and the Banatao Institute create information technology solutions for society's most pressing challenges. CITRIS and the Banatao Institute leverage the research strengths of the University of California campuses at Berkeley, Davis, Merced, and Santa Cruz, and operate within the greater ecosystem of the University and the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of Silicon Valley. We strengthen bridges between world-class laboratory research, state and national policymakers, and companies and startups creating new applications and reshaping entire industries.
CITRIS and the Banatao Institute facilitate interdisciplinary work among hundreds of University of California faculty members, students, corporate partners, and international institutions. Together with these public and private partners, we are shaping the future of technology in ways that cross traditional boundaries.
From concept to prototype, the CITRIS invention ecosystem includes competitive seed funding, specialized testbeds, Berkeley Marvell Nanofabrication Lab at CITRIS, CITRIS Invention Lab, and the CITRIS Foundry. We bring the expertise of multiple disciplines to bear on critical challenges such as designing sustainable energy, water, and transportation systems; improving the human experience with robotics and inclusive intelligence; modernizing health care delivery; fostering responsible tech policy; promoting diverse perspectives; and examining the future of work and the global economy in the age of automation. CITRIS and the Banatao Institute represent a bold and exciting vision that engages one of the top university systems in the world to generate social and economic benefits.
30% Develops and manages strategic communications and brand identity for CITRIS and the Banatao Institute across multiple channels including web, video, social media, newsletters, reports, print, broadcast, public events, and meetings. Directs all aspects of CITRIS communications across a variety of disciplines including content strategy, writing, editing, web design, graphic design, user experience, photography, videography, motion graphics, museum curation, event production, and public relations.
25% Ensures that high quality work is completed within budget and time constraints. Reviews and edits deliverables to ensure consistent, compelling, and accurate messaging.
20% Selects, trains, guides, mentors, and evaluates staff and student assistants. Maintains staff development plans and annual goals. Ensures integration of various communications disciplines for most effective communications efforts. Manages changes in priorities, timelines, and staff workloads and takes corrective action as required.
Mentors staff in new and emerging communications skills.
15% Evaluates effectiveness of communications and outreach activities. Recommends and implements improvements to communications programs, tools, and processes accordingly.
10% Participates in Chancellor, Advisory Board, GGDISI, campus, and operations staff meetings to understand emerging topics, gather stories, and advise on strategies. Represents CITRIS at external events and on-campus councils including the Berkeley Communications Roundtable, College of Engineering Communications workgroup, and others that may emerge.
***This is a two-year contract position w/possibility of renewal***
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and the most appropriate and effective applications.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of technical applications to effectively manage / supervise professional technical staff, including design concepts, various media and mediums, applications, etc.
- Solid knowledge of the University of California system, especially the 4 CITRIS campuses, including its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices and infrastructure (external candidates must have the ability to quickly grasp the complexities of a multi-unit, multi-disciplinary organization).
- Solid skills to create, develop and implement comprehensive long and short term strategic communications plans.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communications, and active listening skills and political acumen.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, project management and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills.
- Strong skills to ensure production of high quality work within budget and time constraints.
- Solid knowledge and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of the desired message to the target and / or broad general audiences. Ability to understand and effectively communicate about information technology, engineering, computer science, robotics, healthcare, tech policy, innovation, entrepreneurship, and other domains central to the CITRIS mission.
- Knowledge of current affairs, issues in higher education, developments in science and technology research, use of technology and new media for social benefit and/or specialized subject matter.
- Advanced skills to advise and consult management on all aspects of communications, ranging from developing effective communication strategies to appropriately responding to inquiries regarding sensitive or complex issues or information.
- Solid supervisory skills to select, train, lead, direct, guide, motivate and evaluate professional and possibly support staff to produce high quality work; skill to take corrective action as required.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
- The salary range designated for this position: $115,000 - $124,200; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
- This is a two-year contract position. Contract positions may be extended based on operational demand. Contract positions are eligible to participate in the health and welfare programs offered by UC Berkeley.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=15575&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency