ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, VENTURE CAPITAL
University of California Irvine
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, VENTURE CAPITAL
Updated: Feb 19, 2021
Location: UC Irvine Campus
Department: BEALL Applied Innovation Admin
Job Opening ID: 15572
Reports To: Executive Director, Applied Innovation
Working Title: Associate Director, Venture Capital
Department: Applied Innovation Admin
Bargaining Unit: 99
Payroll Job Code: 006617
Job Location: UCI Campus- Irvine
Percent of Time: 100%
Work Schedule: 8-5, M-F
Employee Class: Career
UCI Beall Applied Innovation brings campus-based discoveries together with Orange County's vibrant business community to support job creation and economic growth. To make this happen, UCI Beall Applied Innovation facilitates connections between UCI and industry, including entrepreneurs seeking access to university inventions and talent, large corporations looking to tap the school's research capabilities, and investors wanting to financially support promising new companies. Additionally, UCI Beall Applied Innovation is working to cultivate an “innovation district” in the heart of Orange County, producing more start-ups, more scale-ups, and, ultimately, a world-class entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Serves as the main point-of-contact for any investor worldwide that is interested in research, intellectual property, expertise, or technologies developed at UC Irvine. Responsible for connecting prospective entrepreneurs with appropriate accelerators, incubators, facility, and lab space in the local ecosystem. This position will work with other groups within UCI Beall Applied Innovation to assist in the development of startups affiliated with UCI and UCI Beall Applied Innovation. Responsible for developing long and short-term planning and projections that are in alignment with UCI Beall Applied Innovations tactical and strategic objectives. Must be able to build and maintain a large network of funding sources such as venture capital firms, corporate venture capital groups, angel groups, family offices, and individual investors. This network will also include incubators and accelerators, regional ecosystem support organizations, corporate partners, and campus resources. Incumbent will also work with Southern California incubators, accelerators, angel groups, SBDCs, networking groups, and others to identify well-qualified non-UCI startups that will able be viewed as valuable deal flow to the investor network. In this way, UCI Beall Applied Innovation will be viewed by investors world-wide as the hub on innovation in Orange County and in Southern California
Annually: $81,400.00 - $133,500.00
- 5 years in a program development role or 3 years in a team management role.
- Master's degree in Entrepreneurship, Management Business Administration, or other relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Deep understanding of faculty and startup interests within the University.
- Understanding of innovation process.
- Skilled communicator: includes verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Ability to use discretion and respect confidentiality.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to establish and maintain working relationships with colleagues, faculty, investors, and industry partners with an emphasis on collaboration, tact, diplomacy, flexibility, professionalism, and discretion.
- Advanced organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to lead a team, prioritize personal and team tasks and see projects through from inception to completion on schedule.
- Ability to perform all commonly applicable functions in the Microsoft Suite.
- Advanced knowledge of software applications specific to investor information.
- Ability to teach others.
- Master's degree in Entrepreneurship, Management, Business Administration, or other relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years in a development role; or 3 years in a team management role. Experience working with venture capital investors and venture-backed startup founders.
- Strong project execution skills, managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth.
- Experience working with a high performance, collaborative, constructive peer group.
- Demonstrated results in managing through complex systems and proven experience negotiating win-win agreements
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control, and performance.
Final candidate subject to background check. As a federal contractor, UC Irvine is required to use E-Verify to confirm the work status of individuals assigned to perform substantial work under certain federal contracts/subcontracts.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500.
To apply, visit https://careersucirvine.ttcportals.com/jobs/6315208-associate-director-venture-capital
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency