Associate Director, School of Education
Virginia Tech School of Education
Associate Director, Office of Educational Research and Outreach
The Virginia Tech School of Education is inviting applications for the position of Associate Director of the School of Education, to lead the Office of Educational Research and Outreach (OERO). We seek a dynamic, creative leader who will further build and advance the sponsored research and outreach activities of the School of Education. The position is an open rank (or commensurate experience), 12-month appointment.
The School of Education Associate Director leads the Office of Educational Research and Outreach. This person provides faculty support within the School of Education and serves a central role in further building and advancing a highly productive sponsored educational research portfolio and outreach activities. In particular, we are seeking someone who can enthusiastically
- Support School of Education faculty and graduate students in pursuing and administering sponsored research and outreach;
- Promote the world-class research and capabilities of the School of Education within the University and beyond;
- Lead a skilled and experienced group of OERO personnel in overseeing the Office’s operations and resources;
- Liaise with the VT Office of Sponsored Programs, other university entities, and external funding agencies;
- Support and advance the work of grant-funded centers in the School of Education;
- Engage in scholarly activity consistent with rank;
- Optionally teach one course per year in a program in the School of Education;
- Travel to national conferences as required.
● An earned doctorate in Education or related field aligned with one or more School of Education programs by the time of appointment
● Extensive record of grant submissions and acquisitions
● Knowledgeable and supportive of a broad range of research methodologies and skills common to contemporary education research
● A vision for expanding sponsored research in the School and fostering interdisciplinary collaborations that will lead to new grant and outreach activities
● Record of scholarship, teaching, outreach, and service sufficient to warrant tenure at the hiring rank
- Tangible outcomes related to the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience mentoring and providing professional development to faculty and graduate students interested in pursuing grant funding opportunities
- Experience networking and collaborating with a variety of entities
- Supervisory or management experience
- Extensive knowledge of sponsored programs budgeting and finance
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university serving the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the global community. The discovery and dissemination of new knowledge are central to its mission. Through its focus on teaching and learning, research and discovery, and outreach and engagement, the university creates, conveys, and applies knowledge to expand personal growth and opportunity, advance social and community development, foster economic competitiveness, and improve the quality of life.
As the Commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers over 280 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 34,000 students and manages a research portfolio of more than $521 million. Virginia Tech is located in the beautiful mountains of Southwest Virginia, offering a wide variety of cultural and outdoor recreational activities.
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Applicants from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit (1) a cover letter detailing your qualifications for the position and vision for the Office of Educational Research and Outreach, (2) a curriculum vitae, (3) two examples of scholarly writing that exemplify your qualifications for the position, and (4) names and contact information for three references. Application materials must be submitted online at www.jobs.vt.edu, Job number 515075. Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2021 and continue until position is filled.
Employment is contingent upon submission of official university transcripts and a criminal background check.
Questions may be directed to Dr. Barbara Lockee, Search Committee Chair, at [email protected]
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law. For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the Office of Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061 or http://www.vt.edu/about/equal-opportunity.html