Scientific Assistant Senior - potato group
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-18
Title:1160-NN - Scientific Assistant Senior
Business Title:Scientific Assistant Senior - potato group
Employee Type:Admin. Professional (+) (Fixed Term)
Job Family:Administrative Professional - Not OT Eligible
Summary of Duties: Perform both in-field and laboratory research including the design of research approaches and identifying and defining research problems in potato physiology. Collect, analyze and interpret research data for both in-field and postharvest studies. Ensure quality control, make improvement to techniques and interpretation. Assist in preparing journal publications and progress reports etc., Manage and maintain daily laboratory & field operations. Conduct general laboratory maintenance and routine care of scientific instrumentation and farm equipment; order supplies, keep inventory records and maintain a safe working environment. Supervise and train additional support staff as appropriate to achieve the research objectives and goals of the lab.
- A Master’s degree in an appropriate related scientific or engineering discipline and four (4) years of progressively responsible related professional research experience. A PhD in a scientific or engineering field may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the required work experience.
- The four year requirement of research must be in the potato industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of both in-field and postharvest research in potato physiology.
- Demonstrated ability to lead support staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of the potato industry including processes for seed, processing and marketing.
- Demonstrated experience in potato variety development.
- Have, or ability to obtain, a WA pesticide license within 6 months of hire.
- Must have, or able to maintain, a valid driver’s license by time of hire.
- Ability to participate in, and lead when necessary, potato operations such as planting, data collection, harvests, grading, processing, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to operate farm equipment which includes, but not limited to: tractors, trucks, forklifts, sprayers, etc.
- Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish.
- Ability to travel to remote worksites and meetings to work independently and on teams.
- Ability to work in a variety of conditions outdoors (e.g. hot/cold, weather, etc) and indoors (e.g. laboratories, storages, shops, greenhouses, etc).
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills.
Monthly Salary: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
Position Term in months: 12 months
City, State, Zip: Pullman, WA 99164
Department Link: horticulture.wsu.edu
Background Check: This position has been designated by the department to require a background check
Screening Begin Date: March 4, 2021
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume and 2) cover letter.
Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements.
Applicants are required to include contact information for professional references within the application
Required Documents: Resume and Cover letter
Time Type:Full time
Position Term:12 Month
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or firstname.lastname@example.org.