Assistant to the Chair
Assistant to the Chair
Job Number: 88503
The School of Medicine is seeking candidates for the role of Assistant to the Chair in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
The position will provide administrative, project and analytical support to the Chair. With a full understanding of the scope of the Chair's responsibilities in the organization, incumbent works on assignments that are at times complex in nature, requiring a high level of independence and initiative in execution and implementation.
The Assistant to the Chair must be able to act independently with only general supervision to fulfill the overall objective of assuring an efficient and highly organized administrative function. They will function as a gatekeeper, understanding the requirements of the executive to prioritize issues according to urgency and to allocate time accordingly. The incumbent is responsible for providing high level project and analytical support, systems access/technical administration, and to work in conjunction with and/or act on behalf of the Chair. This requires developing a thorough understanding of the practices & policies of the OBGYN department and School of Medicine, independently anticipating the needs of the Chair, and proactively taking action to address those needs. This position must act with a high degree of political acumen when acting on behalf of the Chair, and/or engaging in activities with senior leadership. Must be an independent problem solver and be able to work in a fast paced, energetic organization which is growing all of the time. We are seeking candidates with a high level of professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, who will also be a welcoming and encouraging face of the academic office.
- Compose and draft documents and correspondence for presentations, course handouts, grants, conferences, seminars, and reports; perform substantial editing and fact checking. Create, maintain, modify, and/or ensure accuracy of content in various unit documents, displays, reports, brochures, social media, and/or websites.
- Oversee and/or process a variety of complex financial transactions; produce, monitor, reconcile, and report on budget statements; research, identify, and resolve discrepancies. May assist with capital or special equipment requests and/or vendor selection.
- Develop evaluation and tracking systems for research and community engagement activities.
- Maintain office supplies, research promotional materials, etc.
- Assist with research participant management.
- Oversee and/or perform duties associated with scheduling, organizing, and operating complex conferences, seminars, and events, including arranging with vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, administering logistics, and managing event within budget.
- Act on behalf of the supervisor in regards to establishing priorities and identifying and resolving problems that are administrative in nature.
- Plan and schedule calendar(s) with limited consultation, resolve calendaring conflicts, and arrange travel in compliance with unit, university, and sponsor policies.
- Create complex reports and spreadsheets which may utilize specialized software and systems.
- May lead staff or supervise day-to-day work of student and/or temporary workers, including scheduling, assigning, and prioritizing workloads, setting appropriate deadlines, reviewing work for quality and timeliness, and providing performance review input.
* - Other duties may also be assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
High school diploma and four years of administrative experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Ability to work independently to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Knowledge of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ+) and other sexual and gender minority (SGM) communities
- Ability to work with sexual, gender, and racial/ethnic minority and other marginalized populations and be empathetic
- Advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications.
- Demonstrated success in following through and completing projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent numerical skills in basic finance tracking.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and assign work to others.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects.
- Ability to routinely and independently exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, reach/work above shoulders, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, use a telephone, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat, kneel/crawl.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
This position is remote (work from home) until pandemic restrictions are lifted. This full-time position will then be based at the CAM building in Palo Alto, CA.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4103
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Department URL: http://obgyn.stanford.edu
- Requisition ID: 88503
Location: School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency