Student Success Specialist
Date: November 23, 2020
Title: Student Success Specialist
Description: Reporting to the Director of the Center for Student Success, the Student Success Specialist provides support to at-risk students identified through early alert, grade reports, and registration initiatives. The Student Success Specialist also works as part of a team with responsibility for managing the academic probation and tutoring programs. Academic probation program responsibilities include developing, teaching, and assessing Success Strategies 101 and January Term probation programming. Coordination of the tutoring program includes recruiting, hiring and managing tutors, monitoring appointment requests, and advertising tutoring services to the campus community. This is a 10 month position.
- Conducts outreach and intervention for at-risk students; manages support for students identified through early alerts and grade reports; participates in CSS and Registrar efforts to encourage registration for students who miss their registration periods.
- Provides coaching to a caseload of probation students and assists with the coordination of coaching for all students on probation. This includes training other coaches and tracking coaching activities.
- Contributes to the curriculum development, teaching, and assessment of Success Strategies 101 and January Term probation programming; trains and supports additional instructors and peer leaders.
- Contributes to the planning and implementation of the CSS peer tutoring programming; assists with the recruitment, training, and supervision of student tutors.
- Assesses the needs of Hartwick’s student population as related to academic skills, dispositions and plans; facilitates and/or coordinates workshops and other resources to help students improve their skills; advises the Director of Academic Support on student retention and success issues.
- Maintains good customer service standards.
- Comply with all applicable College, federal, state, local, and associational laws, rules and regulations.
- Participates in significant campus activities, such as open houses, Honors Convocation, Commencement Weekend, Welcome Weekend, and True Blue Weekend.
- As a representative of the College, comports oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus.
- Maintains current knowledge of theories and best practices for supporting student success.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Minimum requirements for this position are a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, university or technical school and 1-3 years of relevant experience. Clean driving record and valid driver’s license.
- Individual coaching or counseling of students (high school or college).
- Knowledge of best practices in student retention and success.
- Ability to work in partnership with colleagues and faculty.
- Strong writing and verbal skills.
- Commitment to working with diverse individuals.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite especially Excel as well as Google Drive/Documents
To apply for the Student Success Specialist position, please click here. All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.