Part-time Campus Safety Officers
Date: June 26, 2020
Title: Campus Safety Officer
Description: The Campus Safety Officer provides a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, visitors and all other members of the Hartwick College Community. Campus Safety Officers are responsible for protecting the property and assets of Hartwick College and the personal property of faculty, students and staff living and working on Campus; enforcing the rules, regulations and policies of Hartwick College in a fair and equal manner; and assisting the local authorities and outside agencies with any investigations into wrongdoing, which affects the campus. In order to accomplish these duties, a safety officer must be on campus at all times, 24/7. Officers patrol the campus, residence halls and the area immediately surrounding the campus, to identify potential areas of concern and to deter policy violations and criminal activity.
- Provide continuous year round, 24/7 mobile patrols of all campus roadways and parking areas
- Complete random foot patrols of residence halls and academic buildings
- Secure all academic and administrative buildings when they close for the night
- Assist students, faculty and staff with building and room lockouts
- Enforce College policies and regulations, including campus parking and vehicle regulations
- Respond in a timely manner to all calls for assistance or service and take appropriate action to assess injuries, identify crimes, and support victims by providing a safe environment
- Prepare reports of any incidents, policy violations or conditions which require administrative followup
- Make timely notification to appropriate supervisors and other College staff or emergencies, hazardous situations, and any other newsworthy or major incidents
- Assist facilities personnel as needed and to make timely notification regarding safety hazards or conditions
- Provide safety and medical escorts to students, staff and faculty when necessary
- Administer emergency medical care when necessary to include CPR, AED, and Narcan
- Maintain needed traffic control points and detours for any on-campus construction, truck deliveries or special events, to insure the safety of motorists and pedestrians
- Patrols, inspections and investigations require frequent inside and outdoor routing in all types of weather conditions; foot, vehicle and stationary patrols are required; possible exposure to hazardous materials, severe weather conditions and physical confrontations with unstable persons and individuals who are violating laws and regulations
- Have the ability and training to perform all of the essential duties and responsibilities of the Campus Safety Dispatcher and will work shifts in that capacity when directed
- Interact with students, faculty and staff to provide information, assistance, and assist with the resolution of complaints and unmet needs
- Assist local police and fire agencies when needed on campus
- Participation in significant campus activities including Welcome Weekend, True Blue Weekend, and Commencement Weekend, and sporting events
- Expected to comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and associational regulations
- As a representative of the College, expected to comport oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus
Qualifications: Minimum requirements for this position include a high school diploma or GED, and at least six months to one year of experience in a customer-service related field. Must possess tact and good judgement in dealing with others. A NYS Security Guard License is required, along with a valid driver’s license and must be insurable by the College. The position will also require AED, CPR, and Narcan training and certification.
Must be able to operate all equipment and systems used by the Campus Safety Department including computers, portable radios, surveillance cameras, telephone switchboard, typewriters, fire alarms, suppression systems and emergency equipment. Good physical condition required, including hearing, eyesight and walking ability. Must have the patience and maturity to deal with tense, stressful, and potentially dangerous situations, and to be in control of emotions when dealing with difficulty individuals. Must be willing and available for overtime and schedule changes during night and weekend shifts, with limited notice.
The Campus Safety Officer is regularly required to walk the boundaries of the campus, including the navigation of the numerous outdoor staircases. Must be able to frequently carry 20-30 pounds, occasionally 50 pounds, and assist students and/or employees in the case of medical situations.
To apply for the Part-time Campus Safety Officer position, please submit one single pdf copy of your application materials inclusive of the content below.
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
All materials should be sent electronically to Suzanne Janitz, Chief Human Resource Officer, at [email protected] with [Part-time Campus Safety Officer] in the subject line. Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.