Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-17
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.General Description (Purpose and Function):
Oversees departmental operations; ensures effective and efficient workflow and adheres to standards.Primary Duties and Responsibilities (For Non-exempt Employees Include Percent of Effort):
- Plans and manages office service activities such as reception, telephone, mail, fax, copying equipment, and the purchasing, receiving, and storing of office supplies. Engages in office management responsibilities including planning, evaluating, organizing, integrating and controlling.
- Supervises at least 1 full time equivalent employee, or supervises 3 part -time employees/temporary/ students.
- Assigns, schedules, trains, disciplines, evaluates performance, makes pay recommendations and resolves employee issues.
- Coordinates, analyzes and recommends changes of administrative activities and procedures which may include personnel, budget preparation and record maintenance.
- Identifies problems and opportunities, prepares status summary for supervisor, and makes recommendations as appropriate.
- Initiates appropriate follow-up/action when necessary.
- Ensures department budgets are in compliance with UM guidelines.
- Checks that externally funded accounts (federal, state, other) comply with the requirements of the awards (e.g., federal agency guidelines).
- Ensures that expenditures on all accounts do not exceed budgeted levels for needs beyond established budget, and works with supervisor to identify alternative sources and/or to request funds.
- Will assist with grant proposals
- Prepares cost projections, and handles post award grant management including reconciliation and reporting to the agency.
- May assist with faculty recruitment, reappointment, promotion and tenure process.
- Negotiates the purchase of office supplies and equipment and oversees receiving and shipping units for office departments.
- Coordinates all personnel actions and paperwork for the department.
- Ensures compliance with University policies regarding searches (affirmative action, dean’s office, etc.); maintains appropriate files and documents; handles correspondence.
- Coordinates meetings, compiles files, and prepares confidential correspondence.
- Ensures that technical / research personnel are informed of and comply with UM fiscal and personnel policies and procedures.
- Serves as the departmental liaison with facilities administration and housekeeping to insure that departmental facilities are appropriately maintained.
- Coordinates special projects and events on ad hoc basis as assigned.
- Responsible for departmental petty cash fund, P-Card purchases, and input of PEF/payroll papers.
- Initiates reports/correspondence, internally & outside UM on behalf of supervisor.
- Assists with confidential matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in related field
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to manage a budget and work within the constraints of that budget.
- Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c104