Residence Director, Spring 2021 (Temporary)
Bard College at Simon's RockResidence Director, Spring 2021 (Temporary)Employer Website: https://simons-rock.edu/early-college/contact-us/job-opportunities/residence-director.php
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is the only four-year college in the United States specifically designed to allow highly motivated adolescents to fully realize their intellectual and creative potential by beginning college immediately after the 10th or 11th grade.
For over 50 years, Simon’s Rock has occupied a unique space in the educational landscape, practicing the simple yet radical idea that many students are ready for college before the age of 18. The campus is located on 275 rolling and wooded acres in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, the center of the Berkshires and, according to Smithsonian Magazine, "the best small town in America." Equidistant between New York and Boston, the Berkshires is a site of great natural beauty and numerous outdoor activities, as well as a cultural destination.
The principle responsibility of the Residence Director is to ensure that students have a safe and emotionally secure living environment which supports the educational goals of Simon’s Rock. Each staff member is expected to work both independently and collaboratively as part of the Residence Life team. Specific tasks include:
- Helping to resolve and mediate conflict between students in the residence halls
- Upholding the standards of conduct as outlined in the Student Handbook
- Utilizing Restorative Practices as a tool for building community and addressing conflict in your residence hall and across campus
- Creating and overseeing a working House Council, advising and supporting all House Council programs and events, and overseeing the budget
- Collaborating with student staff, this includes utilizing them in meaningful ways, meeting with them regularly, evaluating their performance, helping them work more effectively, and participating in the selection of new student staff members
- Producing educational and entertaining programs
- Keeping the Dean of Students, Residence Directors, and other administrators apprised, as appropriate, on particular issues, and seeing them through to resolution
- Communicating and partnering with parents to support students
- Attending weekly staff meetings to discuss common residence issues, incidents, follow-up, community concerns, policies, and information of general interest
- Managing medical and psychological emergencies in conjunction with The Wellness Center (Medical/Counseling Services)
- Promoting and sustaining a respect for the school’s property; maintaining a cooperative working relationship with Housekeeping and Physical Plant staff
- Serving on various Campus Life and campus-wide committees, such as the Council for Equity & Inclusion, Community Council, Staff Assembly, etc. as needed
- Establishing and posting regular office hours each week where students and others may expect to find you in the Campus Life office
- Maintaining availability and a presence on campus, including attendance at most meals in the Dining Hall and being on Duty as assigned
We seek community-minded, team-oriented individuals to help develop and foster an inclusive and welcoming campus climate which allows young students to flourish. Applicants must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, organized, and demonstrate good judgment. They should be mature, outgoing, and solution-oriented. Successful candidates should expect to be active participants in this community.
This is an immediate opening for a temporary (January 2021 – May 2021), full-time live-in position within an upper-class dorm, with significant evening and weekend work. Compensation includes salary, on-campus apartment in the beautiful Berkshires, and a meal plan while on contract and when dining hall is open. This position is non-benefits eligible. Ability to maintain a valid driver’s license and to be insured to drive Simon’s Rock vehicles are required. A Bachelor’s degree is required. Candidates with previous Residential Life, Student Affairs, or Counseling experience will be given preference.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check and fingerprinting. Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three references to Tracey Cameron, Ph.D., Dean of Students, at [email protected]
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Bard College at Simon's Rock is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. AA/EOE