Dean of Studies
Bard Early College New OrleansDean of StudiesEmployer Website: https://apply.interfolio.com/75502
About the Bard Early Colleges
The Bard Early Colleges are founded on the belief that many high school–age students are eager and ready for the intellectual challenges of a college education. The Bard Early Colleges act on this belief by providing younger scholars with a tuition-free, credit-bearing college course of study in the liberal arts and sciences following the 9th and 10th grades. Students are taught by college faculty in seminar classes; they receive up to 60 college credits and an associate in arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College, concurrently with a high school diploma. The Bard Early Colleges begin preparing students for college work as early as the 9th grade and offer ongoing guidance and academic supports.
Now in its second decade, the Bard Early College network serves over 2,900 students in campuses in Lower Manhattan and Queens, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; and Washington, DC. Since 2003, Bard College has awarded more than 3,000 A.A. degrees to its early college students.
Bard invites applications for a dynamic individual who will join our administrative team as the Dean of Studies of a Bard Early College in New Orleans, LA. The position will start in the Spring or Summer of 2021 (start date flexible) for a planning period prior to an anticipated Fall 2021 semester start.
In partnership with the Executive Director and the Dean of Students, the Dean of Studies will provide leadership and administrative oversight of the academic program at the early college.
- Work with the Executive Director, Dean of Students and faculty to plan and refine the curriculum each semester in response to student need, partner school needs, and Bard College standards
- Hire full-time faculty and adjuncts to ensure classes are fully staffed each semester
- Develop academic schedule and have it finalized one month before classes start
- Submit relevant course registrations to Bard College and other entities, and manage transcripts with Bard and partner schools
- Identify elements of curriculum and instruction that can be strengthened, and oversee new course development
- Oversee professional development and assist faculty members with proven instructional methods (i.e. Writing and Thinking approaches)
- Facilitate inter-faculty observation and collaboration
- Support development and implementation of course assessments
- Ensure integrity and fairness of grading, troubleshoot and solve related challenges
- Promote and facilitate restorative practices among team and with students and families
- Teach one course section each semester
The Dean of Studies’ professional and academic experience should ideally span both secondary and postsecondary teaching and administration, and, where relevant, scholarship.
The successful candidate for the position will possess the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Doctorate in a liberal arts and sciences discipline (corresponding to the fields available for study within the Bard curriculum)
- Scholarship and engagement in field of study since attainment of terminal degree
- At least five years teaching experience, preferably with both college and high school students
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with and commitment to working with adolescents
- Excellence in goal setting, high standards, execution and reliability
- Commitment to growth demonstrated by giving and eagerly implementing feedback
- Value for teamwork, flexibility to pitch in, and take duty shifts
To apply, please send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three references through the Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/75502.
Inquiries may be directed via email to: Ana Maria Caldwell, Executive Director, at: [email protected].
Review of applications begins immediately and will proceed until the position is filled.
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.