Network Engineer III
Job Title: Network Engineer III
Location: Georgia Gwinnett College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 224283
The Network Engineer III provides network infrastructure technical design, hands-on daily support, and works with network infrastructure operations. This position is responsible for a wide variety of tasks involving the campus WAN/LAN, SSL certificates installation and renewal, strong understanding of Extreme/Aerohive, VOIP system, network-related infrastructure such as DNS and DHCP, and other tasks as needed. This position will also be responsible for management and maintenance of the GGC wireless network.
Additionally, this position researches emerging technologies and provides recommendations to management regarding adoption of new technologies and network applications in response to business needs.
- Collaborate with the Network Team and Department Director to ensure network security and connectivity.
- Provide end-user support for Tier-1 and Tier-2 level network issues based on business priorities.
- Assist in deploying/maintaining core switches.
- Independently deploy, configure, and update edge switches.
- Deploy, maintain, and manage campus telephone system: SIP (session initiation protocol) , PRI (primary rate interface), and VoIP (voice over internet protocol).
- Maintain hostname servers and their IP addresses which include DNS (domain named service) and DHCP (dynamics host configuration protocol).
- Maintain VLAN and IP address schemas.
- Ensure proxy authentication through NPS (network policy service) and Radius.
- Resolve escalations on an array of end-user telephony issues, and wireless and wired networking problems.
- Configure/deploy/troubleshoot WAPs (wireless access points) and their controllers and management systems.
- Be on-call 24x7 in case of emergency network issues and to handle any outages relating to the network/telephony.
- Mentor Junior Network Administrators and provide appropriate guidance, as needed.
- Mentor and supervise Student Assistants and provide appropriate guidance.
- Ensure efficiency, security, reliability, usability, and scalability of network equipment through proactive monitoring and automation.
- Manage day-to-day administration of Campus Switches, Routers, and Firewall and their supporting applications.
- Research and make recommendations to improve networking and telecommunications standards and processes.
- Define network policies and procedures.
- Maintain VoIP Call Center, hunt groups, and call routing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4 Year / Bachelor's Degree
- Ten years of experience working with IP networks and supporting systems.
- Three years of experience working with Extreme/Aerohive Devices and Hive Manager (or equivalent experience with similar hardware/software).
- Experience with Palo Alto firewalls and Cisco VPN including remote implementation, troubleshooting, and problem resolution (or equivalent experience with similar hardware/software).
- Experience creating and maintaining technical documentation.
- Ideal candidate will have a proven record of completing projects in Extreme, HP, Cisco, Aerohive, Palo Alto, and APC.
- Technical certifications in network engineering and administration (i.e. CCNA, CCNP, etc.).
- Ideal candidate will have experience administering Linux Servers.
- Ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of hands-on server administration in a Windows and Linux environment.
- Ideal candidate will have technical project planning, change management, and documentation skills.
- VoIP experience with SIP and PRI.
- Route, Switch, Security, and Firewall experience.
- OSPF and other dynamic routing experience.
- FreePBX Asterisk experience.
- Palo Alto firewall experience.
- Cisco Call Manager Express.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of teams.
- Ability to set-up and configure network equipment and appliances.
- Proven problem-solving skills in a multiple-vendor environment.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills.
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry equipment and tools. Ability to move from one building to another building on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone, and in writing. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Gwinnett College is an equal employment, equal access, equal educational opportunity, and affirmative action institution. It is the policy and practice of our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote, retain, and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, sex/gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, ADA, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, AREA, and Executive Order 11246 ). For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy, please contact the Georgia Gwinnett College Human Resources Team at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Payroll and Benefits at (678) 407.5070 or email [email protected] Any individual who feels that they may have been discriminated against, should contact the Office of Diversity & Equity Compliance at [email protected]Background Check
- Standard + Education