PK Technician / Specimen Management Coordinator
Cancer Center DivisionDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
University of Arizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC) is a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer through patient care, research, and education.Specimen Management Coordinators (SMC) are responsible for ensuring the proper collection and processing of various biological samples from study participants. They also perform ECGs and peripheral blood draws as required. The SMCs serve as the liaison for the Cancer Center clinical trial staff for pharmacokinetic information Each SMC works with an average of 10-20 patients weekly and manage upwards of 25 studies on up to 14 unique oncology clinical research teams at any one time. The SMC is involved from the time of the site evaluation visit, site initiation visit and start up all the way to patients coming off treatment depending on the protocol specimen management requirements.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures proper use of laboratory equipment within the pharmacokinetic lab including centrifuges, fridge, -20 and -80 freezers and hood. SMCs stay in compliance with OSHA and JACHO standards. SMCs confirm that the appropriate equipment is ordered and available for all patients on all IRB approved clinical trial protocols.
- Participate in trainings and staff meetings. This includes training from the Clinical Trials Office, University of Arizona, Banner and Sponsors to stay informed of processes and procedures. Additionally, Site Initiation Visits could last 1-3 hours and are required to work on any study.
- Collects samples, processes samples, prepares samples for shipment, and stores samples per study specific protocol guidelines. Performs ECGs per protocol guidelines. Completes and maintains accurate sample collection source documents. Sample collection could occur once per visit or up to 6-7 times per visit over 1 or 12 hours.
- Evaluates each patient visit for Pharmacokinetic sample collection requirements. Conducts and submits qualifications for Central ECG machines and Holter Monitor equipment. Attends off-site biopsy and sample collections as needed. Resolves sample and ECG related queries. Ensures all materials are on-site prior to study screenings.
- Assists with specimen management protocol development for Investigator Initiated protocols and serve as a liaison for the Cancer Center and Clinical Trial Staff for PK related information.
- Maintain constant communication with staff members regarding patient sample status and current inventory of supplies needed for each study. Collaborates with Clinical Research Coordinator and RN’s to determine sample collection requirements for each patient visit.
- Up to 1 year of relevant work experience may be required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through experience required.
*Trained Phlebotomist with documentation of certification OR willing to obtain certification through the CTO’s internal certification process.*Ability to set up and collect Electrocardiograms.*Ability to effectively communicate.*Excellent organizational skills.*Demonstrated ability to interact professionally and effectively with investigators, sponsors and cross-functional teams.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$37,506 - $52,092Compensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
6Career Stream and Level:
Research & LabJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Alaina Krone | [email protected]Open Date:
2/17/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.