PK Technician / Specimen Management Technician
Cancer Center DivisionDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
University of Aizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC) is a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer through patient care, research, and education.The Research Technician is an important part of the Specimen Management Team at the University of Arizona Cancer Center Clinical Trials Office. The Research Technician is responsible for receiving and ordering lab supplies. This includes maintaining current and accurate supply inventory of specimen kits, ECG machines, holter monitors, scales, digital pens and all supplies needed for study coordination. The technician is responsible for ensuring the proper and timely processing and shipping of various biological samples from study participants as well as ordering and storing dry ice for shipping. The technician provides administrative support by serving as the liaison for the Cancer Center clinical trial staff for pharmacokinetic information including preparing study kits for scheduled patients coming to clinic each day. The Research Technician will work with upwards of 50 active research studies and will be involved from the time of the site evaluation visit, site initiation visit and start up all the way to patients coming off treatment depending on the protocol specimen management requirements.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures proper use of laboratory equipment within the pharmacokinetic lab including centrifuges, fridge, -20 and -80 freezers and hood. SMCs stay in compliance with OSHA and JACHO standards. SMCs confirm that the appropriate equipment is ordered and available for all patients on all IRB approved clinical trial protocols.
- Participate in trainings and staff meetings. This includes training from the Clinical Trials Office, University of Arizona, Banner and Sponsors to stay informed of processes and procedures. Additionally, Site Initiation Visits could last 1-3 hours and are required to work on any study.
- Selects and prepares kits for daily patient visits. Receives and logs study related materials into PK Inventory tracking system. Ensures PK inventory tracking system is accurate and current. Logs and discards expired kits per institutional SOP.
- Processes samples per Laboratory manual specifications. Orders and maintains dry ice supply for shipping needs. Prepares and packs samples for shipment. Schedules sample pickup with sponsor designated courier, completes shipping documents and ensures timely pick-up.
- Maintain daily communication with team members regarding patient sample status and current inventory of supplies for all studies.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
*Trained Phlebotomist with documentation of certification OR willing to obtain certification through the CTO’s internal certification process.*Knowledge of specimen processing techniques.*Ability to set up and collect Electrocardiograms.*Ability to effectively communicate.*Excellent organizational skills.FLSA:
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$13.07 - $18.15Compensation Type:
3Career Stream and Level:
Research & LabJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Alaina Krone | [email protected]Open Date:
2/17/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.