NURSE PRACTITIONER / PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT - CARDIAC CATH LAB (DRH)
Duke Regional Hospital has served Durham, Orange, Person, Granville and Alamance counties and the surrounding communities for nearly 40 years. With more than 1,900 employees, its focus is on providing outstanding medical care with compassionate, personalized service in a comfortable community hospital setting. Duke Regional Hospital has 369 inpatient beds and offers a comprehensive range of medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including orthopedics, weight-loss surgery, women's services, and heart and vascular services, and also offers care at the Duke Rehabilitation Institute and Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center. In fiscal year 2018, Duke Regional Hospital admitted 16,299 patients and had 165,953 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Regional Hospital as #10 in North Carolina and #4 in the Raleigh-Durham area for 2018-19.
** WORK SCHEDULE: Primary Hours Will Be Weekdays (4-10Hr Shifts/Week). No Call, Weekends or Holidays. **
The Advanced Practice Provider (APP- Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA)) provides direct patient care services for the cardiac cath lab and interventional cardiology service. This position is key to the global management of interventional cardiology patients. This position will work with the interventional cardiologists and the cath lab team. The APP performs consults, histories, physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care and discharge of patients post procedure, and provides direct patient care services. The Cardiology APP contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, and provides leadership to the organization.
- Coordinate all aspects of care of elective and non-elective cardiac catheterization / electrophysiology procedures including consent, pre-procedure notes, coordinate add-ons, same day post-cath procedure checks, and discharges (same and next day).
- Ensure appropriate documentation and quality indicators for pre- and post- procedures
- Serve as a leader and conduit for communication between consulting services, cath lab team, and multi-disciplinary team to ensure appropriate flow for cath lab schedule
- Appropriately educate patients and families on consent and ensure registry-based metrics are completed and documented
- Provide patient education and follow-up
- Act as the liaison for the cath and EP registry team
- Develop and implement quality improvement projects in conjunction with physician leadership
- Coordinate and plan patient satisfaction projects in conjunction with physician and cath lab leaders, as needed
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Able to clearly articulate scope of practice, and practices within those guidelines as a Physician Assistant / Nurse Practitioner in the state of North Carolina and within the Duke University Health System.
- Able to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively to solve complex problems
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership, and others.
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, perform health assessments, treatment, and follow-up.
- Able to use fine motor skills
- Able to record activities, document assessments & interventions; prepare reports and presentations;
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to provide leadership in clinical area of expertise and in meeting organizational goals
- Able to navigate the Hospital and DRH to provide clinical expertise to specific patient populations
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking with the ability to move or lift at least fifty pounds
- Able to remain focused and organized
- Able to work collaboratively with all levels of personnel
Required Qualifications at this Level
Nurse Practitioner - Work requires completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program, with a Master's degree in Nursing. Strongly Preferred: Master's Degree in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care
Physician Assistant - Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program. A Bachelor's degree required. Strongly Preferred: Master's Degree
Nurse Practitioner - No experience required. Strongly Preferred: At least 1-year of experience as a NP in cardiology, but willing to consider a new graduate with 3 years of clinical nursing experience.
Physician Assistant - None required above education/training requirement or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience. Strongly Preferred: At least 1-year of experience as a PA in cardiology, but willing to consider a new graduate.
Licensure, and/or Certification:
Nurse Practitioner - Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. BLS required. National certification as a NP required prior to or within 6 months of employment. Strongly Preferred: Certification as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP).
Physician Assistant - Must be licensed in the state of NC, and be certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Job Code: 5063 NURSE PRACTITONER / 5082 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
Job Level: I1