Summer Scholars Program Counselor
Job no: 498354
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Student
Categories: Other, Student Services
Student Worker Other - SalarySalary Grade:
$2,000 plus room and board for the designated program datesJob Description Summary:
The Summer Scholars Program (www.MiamiOH.edu/summerscholars) at Miami University is an immersive pre-college experience for academically-talented rising high school juniors and seniors which requires an intense commitment of both time and energy from each member of the staff. Due to COVID, the 2021 Summer Scholars Program will be offered as either (1) a virtual experience, (2) a residential, on-campus experience, or (3) a combination of virtual and residential experiences. While the responsibilities of Summer Scholars Program Counselors are similar to those of the typical Miami University Resident Advisor and Student Orientation Leader, the position demands a different level of involvement.
The Summer Scholars Counselors serve as ambassadors for the program and for Miami University. They closely interact with the Scholars and shape the Scholars’ experiences in the program. Student counselors who are highly invested in the program are vital to creating a positive experience for each student, thus successfully impacting the Summer Scholars Program as a whole.
While the 2021 Summer Scholars Program may include virtual and/or residential, on-campus components, there remains a strong emphasis on the level of engagement and energy Summer Scholars Counselors are asked to put forth in the program and for the Scholars. Regardless of the format, the Summer Scholars Program will remain an engaging, interactive, and immersive experience connecting Scholars to Miami University.Essential Duties:
Duties and Responsibilities
A successful applicant will typically have experience as a Miami University RA or SOUL; have completed at least one year of study at Miami University by May 15; and have sophomore standing by the start of the program. Junior standing at Miami is preferred, but not required. All staff for any residential, on-campus experience MUST live in the program’s residence hall. Staff room and board is provided for the residential experience. Counselors are on duty for the duration of the program (virtual or residential): June 27, 2021-July 24, 2021 plus mandatory staff training prior to the program: June 22, 2021-June 26, 2021
Effective Community Engagement
• Develop an open and honest professional relationship with each participant in their family community
• Maintain a safe atmosphere in the residence hall as well as anywhere the group travels (or in the online platform if the program is offered virtually)
• Understand, exemplify and enforce the policies of the University Code of Conduct, Minors on Campus Policy, and the Summer Scholars Program
• Plan and execute activities (to be offered either in-person or virtually) which assist participants in interacting with one another, developing new skills or knowledge, and/or familiarizing participants with Miami University
• Assist in possible conflict resolution among program participants
• Respond accordingly to crises which may arise among participants
• Be accessible and interact with students
• Act as a positive role model for the Scholars
• Promote a climate that is inclusive and respectful of all participants, students, and Miami faculty and staff
• Engage in group activities/discussions centered around cultural competence with program participants and fellow staff.
• Inform program participants of deadlines and pertinent information concerning academic matters and upcoming program activities through flyers, bulletin boards, meetings, etc.
• Participate in Summer Scholars programming and field trips and/or virtual activities
Hall Management (Primarily applies to on-campus program)
• Assist with the opening and closing of the hall each session of the program
• Participate in on-call hall duty as determined by the professional staff member and the Office of Admission
• Perform bell desk duties during assigned hours
• Report problems with, or damages to the facilities (or inappropriate behavior in the virtual platform)
• Cooperate with maintenance staff in achieving a healthy physical environment within the community
• Assist the Office of Admission in various administrative tasks such as evaluations, surveys and the distribution of material to participants (which may take place in person or virtually)
• Understand and utilize emergency procedures as appropriate
• Participate in all training sessions: June 22, 2021-June 26, 2021
• Attend daily meetings with staff and scholars and one-on-one meetings with supervisory staff as needed
• Have a clean driving record, be an experienced driver willing to complete training for 15- passenger vans, and transport participants to events, programs, and activities (in case of on-campus program)
• Assume other responsibilities as assigned
To apply, please submit a resume and a letter of interest indicating what you would contribute to the program. These documents should be submitted electronically to [email protected] Applicants should also submit at least one signed letter of recommendation. Letters can be shared electronically if coming directly from the author and should be sent to the email address previously indicated. Preferred letters of recommendation will be from someone who has supervised you and will address your experiences in the Offices of Residence Life, or New Student Programs, or in working with pre-college age students in a residential and/or virtual setting.
Please submit all application materials no later than March 15, 2021. Interviews will be conducted as soon as possible upon receipt of application materials in order to identify staff in a timely manner.
$2,000 plus room and board for the designated program dates, plus initial planning meetings and training sessions (June 22, 2021-June 26, 2021). This amount is based on the on-campus program. Compensation has not yet been determined for the virtual program, however, counselors will be compensated.
For questions please contact:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to [email protected] or 513-529-3560. As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact [email protected] or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 17 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time