Temporary Research Assistant
TemporaryEssential Job Duties:
The primary purpose of this position is to participate in the processing of field samples which include filtration and testing of water samples.Is Time Limited:
NoJob City & State:
Marine, Earth and Atmospheric SciencesClassification Title:
Temporary Research AssistantWork Schedule:
Approximately 10-15 hours/week, flexible.Other Work/Responsibilities:
- Filtration and processing of filters
- Setting up and conducting Enterococcus assays
- Preparation of laboratory media
- Maintaining algae cultures
- Participating in laboratory sanitation (e.g. glassware)
- Data recording and communication
-Although the work location will primarily be on campus in Jordan Hall, the Research Assistant may assist the Rivernet field crew or the freshwater mussel field crew with local field sampling.
Candidate must have a bachelors degree in zoology, biology, marine biology or environmental sciences.
Prior course-work must include: basic biology, aquatic biology and microbiology.
Previous experience must include both documented laboratory experience with filtration, and working aquatic samples and
- Basic understanding of sample filtration
- Ability to use a light and dissecting microscope
- Use of a centrifuge
- Use of a fume hood
- Use appropriate sized tips on micropipettes
- Basic knowledge of wildlife biology, aquatic animal biology, and/or ecology
- Use of a computer, spreadsheets, and word-processing equipment
- Ability to work with other employees as a member of a team
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Attention to detail
- Basic understanding of microbiology, cell culture and plating
- Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Must follow the standard written protocols given
- Use of a Biological Safety Cabinet (laminar flow hood)
- Use of standard laboratory equipment such as a pH meter
- Aseptic technique
Preferred knowledge and experience of candidate includes prior experience working with freshwater or marine phytoplankton or algae and knowing the basic biology of aquatic organisms and particularly microbes and phytoplankton.Required License or Certification:
N/AValid NC Driver's License required?:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoAnticipated Hiring Range:
$15 / hourJob Open Date:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.