Professional Track Teaching Faculty in Philosophy
PG190797EPInternal Recruitment :
Professional Track Teaching Faculty in PhilosophyAnticipated Hiring Range:
$5,000-$5,400 per classroom section; for online distance education courses, sliding scale from $5,000-$10,000 depending on class sizeWork Schedule:
Varies Based on Teaching ScheduleJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Philosophy & Religious StudiesAbout the Department:
The NC State Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies is committed to offering a high-quality undergraduate Philosophy curriculum, including a major and minor in Philosophy, that gives students an opportunity to confront through historical and contemporary resources a wide range of central philosophical issues, such as the relationship between the mind and brain, the ethical implications of scientific advances, the justification of moral, political, and legal institutions, the relationship between human knowledge and reality, and the nature of the logic that structures human language and thought; offering a high-quality undergraduate Religious Studies curriculum, including a major and a minor in Religious Studies, that provides students an extended opportunity to examine the multiple interpretations of the category “religion” – including religion as a social construction, as an element of psychological development, as a branch of metaphysics, and as a constellation of ritual practices – and the ways in which religious traditions have played a central role in human culture and history; developing the analytical abilities and expressive powers of our students; providing and expanding educational and research opportunities at the graduate level; and conducting research, teaching and scholarship that further knowledge and understanding in the disciplines of Philosophy and Religious Studies.Essential Job Duties:
- The Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, at NC State, welcomes applications for possible professional-track teaching positions in Philosophy during 2021/22. Courses in which the Department may have teaching needs include the following: Introduction to Philosophy, Contemporary Moral Issues, Issues in Business Ethics, Thinking Logically, Biomedical Ethics, Logic (introductory to advanced), Philosophy of Law and Ethical Problems in the Law.
- We may require instructors for either classroom courses or online distance-education courses (but local residence is required for both). Depending on the Department’s needs, any candidates selected will be offered contracts to teach one or more course-sections for either a single semester or the full academic year.
- MA in Philosophy or related field required. PhD strongly preferred. Rank is dependent upon qualifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the department head.
- Requires doctor’s degree, an equivalent degree, or equivalent professional experience.
- Previous teaching experience at the college level.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness.
- Superior communication skills.
- PhD strongly preferred.
- Previous teaching experience at the college level.
n/aValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
02/18/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach an application letter, your Curriculum Vitae, and evidence of teaching effectiveness (upload as Other Document 1) to your online application and arrange to have three letters of reference sent to: Philosophy Search Committee, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, North Carolina State University, Campus Box 8103, Raleigh, NC 27695-8103 or by email to [email protected]
Review of applications will begin on March 23, 2020 and will continue until the positions are filled.Position Number:
Non-Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
9 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
160501 - Philosophy & Religious StudiesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.