PG190802EPInternal Recruitment :
Construction ManagerAnticipated Hiring Range:
$80,000 - $92,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm with some flexibilityJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Communication Technologies (ComTech)About the Department:
The Communication Technologies Office (ComTech) provides a variety of voice, data, and video communications services to members of the University community. These services include designing, constructing, and managing all campus network infrastructure which supports voice, data, and video communications. ComTech has overall responsibility for both the intra-campus data network as well as the data network connections linking NCSU with the Internet and other off campus networks.Essential Job Duties:
- This position plans and manages all aspects of construction projects within ComTech. The bulk of the projects are related to physical layer construction (inside infrastructure, outside plant, wireless deployments, etc.). This position serves as the primary liaison to all construction units within the University’s Facilities Division.
- Manage Large Internal Construction Projects – Plan and manage all ComTech internal construction projects such that projects are completed in accordance with engineering drawings, and all applicable university and industry standards and codes. Provide oversight to all project phases from design completion to closeout/acceptance. Manage and track overall schedule of projects including coordination and scheduling of each phase. For work completed by contractors, provide direct construction management support including liaison with occupants, coordination with other phases, scheduling, etc.
- Manage all administrative tasks including all tasks associated with tracking project costs.
- Coordinate Contractor Work for Small Projects – Coordinate all work completed by outside construction contractors for ComTech. Projects will be numerous, but of limited size and scope. Complete all construction coordination tasks to ensure that projects are completed at a quality level and on schedule.
- Manage all administrative tasks including information associated with the creation of customer bills. Coordinate with affected campus parties to minimize disruption and maximize customer satisfaction. There are typically multiple contractors performing this type of work every day.
- Due to the ad hoc nature of these projects, this position typically directly oversees work by the contractors, including: determining priorities, allocating and reviewing work, allocating resources, and monitoring projects’ schedule.
- Coordinate Infrastructure Work Associated with Campus Construction Projects – Serve as main point of contact between ComTech and all building/renovation projects on the entire NC State campus during construction through occupancy.
- Work with Facilities to make sure all infrastructure is installed per ComTech standards. Conduct informal site inspections. Resolve technical questions and problems.
- Review test results and as-builts from contractors. Coordinate closely with ComTech operational staff to ensure hand-offs/move-ins go smoothly.
- Provide advanced troubleshooting for critical issues related to layer 1 infrastructure.
- Provide direct supervision to subordinate construction technician position. Supervise them in all their daily work, ensure adherence to all NCSU policies and procedures in the areas of work performance, personnel issues, and training.
- Determine priorities, allocate and review work, allocate resources, and monitor projects’ schedule. Provide indirect supervision for up to 20 contractor installation technicians via convenience contracts.
- Assist the Director for Engineering & Construction in planning and development activities. This includes offering technical evaluation and advice on the feasibility of particular design options, assistance with information/data gathering activities, and suggestions for making improvements.
- Provide advice directly to campus customers regarding options and recommendations associated with physical telecom infrastructure.
- Oversee all activities in the ComTech Physical Layer Lab facility.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree; or Bachelor’s degree with zero – two years’ of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and relevant experience.
- 1‐2 years of supervisory experience.
- Significant knowledge and experience with physical layer telecommunications infrastructure. Considerable knowledge of BICSI, TIA, and related industry standards.
- Working knowledge of telephony (including traditional copper-based and IP-based dial tone systems). Basic knowledge of data networking general principles – basic network switch functionality, VLANs, transceivers, etc.
- Basic knowledge of CATV communications systems (optical receivers, amplifiers, coax cabling hardware).
- Basic knowledge of electrical systems as they apply to telecom systems (grounding, basic circuitry, etc.).
- Knowledge of typical general construction practices/processes. Knowledge and experience in construction administration and construction management.
- Ability to manage fairly complex construction projects, coordinate a variety of interdependent activities, and make decisions independently. Working knowledge of typical building systems.
- 3+ years’ experience in managing telecommunications physical layer construction projects.
Ability to communicate and work well with a wide variety of clientele.
- Ability to create and foster effective working relationships between ComTech staff, campus faculty/staff, contractors, and vendors.
- Proficiency in typical office software application (Excel, Word, web browsers, etc.).
- BICSI RCDD or RTPM certification and 7+ years’ experience in managing telecommunications physical layer construction projects.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
02/18/2021Anticipated Close Date:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
516001 - Communication TechnologiesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.