Temporary - Image Analyst
Temporary - Image Analyst
Job ID: 2020-11953
# of Openings: 1
Category: Research and Laboratory
The Seung Lab is looking for bright, energetic, and rad people to join our neuroscience lab as image analysts / image annotators. What is key is an interest in scientific innovation and an appreciation for gaming. The Seung Lab is trying to tease apart the mysteries of neuroscience by using machine learning algorithm to lead the charge into connectomics - an ambitious effort to map wiring diagram of the nervous system. We expect these reconstructions enable dramatic leaps in our understanding of brain function.
The successful assistant will be involved with the annotation of brain images from serial electron microscopy for mouse, zebrafish and fly connectomic projects badly needed for decades from neuroscience community. The assistants will use custom computer software to assemble 3D reconstructions of neurons from fragments and use Photoshop-style software to color cellular structures cross sections in images. As an Image Analyst, you will provide quality-assured results and work with a growing team of talented researchers and developers. You will learn about neuroscience knowledge and basic machine learning pipeline to make you succeed in your work. Applicants are recommended to play the game www.eyewire.org and include their username and scores in the application.
The lab maintains an atmosphere that is relaxed, friendly, and permeated by a slightly dark sense of humor. You will get the warm satisfaction of working FOR SCIENCE!
- Utilize your art, gaming or scientific experience to generate the following data in our custom interface that you will learn during on-boarding and training process.
- Reconstruct 3D models of neurons
- Generate data to train our artificial intelligence
- Annotate cellular structures on electron microscopy images for key analysis
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary team of talented neuroscientists and computer scientists to improve data generation process
- Collaborate with developer team to beta test new lab software and contribute your ideas to improve costumed interface
- Bachelor's degree
- Visual learner with excellent visuospatial skills for 3D gameplay
- Good visuospatial skills and ease with point-and-click computer interface similar to image editing and computer games.
- Detail-oriented and quality-focused.
- Good oral & written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Prior work experience as an Image Analyst or an Image Annotator