Patient Services Assistant II (4723C) - 15499
Patient Services Assistant II (4723C) - 15499 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 2, 2021
UC Berkeley School of Optometry operates clinics 7 days per week, year-round, providing vision care at more than 70,000 patient encounters per year in 13 primary and specialty care departments. The majority of patients have some form of government or private vision or medical insurance that they utilize for service.
Patient Appointment Activities:
- Courteously Answer incoming phone lines and screen, route, take messages or respond as appropriate.
- Triage patient to determine which clinic fits the patient care needs; request assistance from more experienced staff if in doubt.
- Schedule patient appointments on the computerized scheduling system according to patient, clinician or doctor request, following all correct procedures and entering all necessary information accurately.
- Communicate last-minute patient schedule changes to Clinics, providers or other staff as indicated.
- Accurately update patient demographics in computer database.
- Obtain and accurately enter patient insurance information as needed; following correct procedures for updating of insurance records on computer database and filing of authorizations or other paperwork to ensure correct processing of patient billing.
- Obtain insurance eligibility and authorizations as needed and communicate lapses of coverage to patients at time of appointing.,
- Schedule patient follow-up visits as requested by provider(s).
Patient Reception Activities:
- Check-in arriving patients & accurately update computerized records providing excellent customer service.
- Advise patient about parking and/or provide permits.
- Provide patient with necessary paperwork and forms.
- Direct patient to the correct Clinic location for appointment.
- Respond to patient inquiries or direct patient to appropriate staff for answers.
- Access patient database to answer queries about materials or services in process.
- Liaison with outside transportation vendor(s), as needed.
Clinic Operations Activities:
- If assigned, handle opening/setup/closing of clinic, following all guidelines.
- Remain logged in to the phone system the maximum time possible; make every attempt to take calls when the “busy” bell signal indicates patients have been on hold longer than acceptable.
- As assigned, assist patients with contact lens ordering.
- Provide cashiering support (collect & process payments) as needed, following all proscribed guidelines.
- As assigned, settle credit card machines and transfer all receipts according to defined procedures.
- Balance previous day's receipts with reports from patient database following prescribed procedures.
- Run computerized reports of patient or schedule activity for Clinic Administration, as needed.
- Maintain workspace and Patient Services area in a neat and orderly manner.
- Restock necessary supplies in Patient Services area & alert Clinic Administration of needed supplies.
- Coordinate breaks and lunch with other staff members to ensure optimal desk coverage.
- Have a working knowledge of and be able to assist with records room procedures as needed.
- Understand and adhere to HIPAA regulations.
- As assigned, set up to call patients for Contact Lens or Spectacle order notification and file contact lenses and spectacles for pick-up as is appropriate.
- Assist patients with pickup/dispense of contact lenses, spectacles or other eye care products.
- Process patient orders for contact lenses, following Clinic procedures.
- Process patient orders for low vision devices following Clinic procedures.
- Follow up with insurance companies when discrepancies or issues concerning patient coverage arise.
- Process records requests (patients and providers).
- Assist with surgery day administrative tasks as assigned. (Only Selected Staff).
Skills Development and Training:
- Take part in any training offered to further knowledge of the Clinic procedures/policies.
- Incumbent must have knowledge of basic computer and database entry, exemplary customer service, proper courtesy and efficiency on the telephone, and be familiar with HIPAA (patient privacy) regulations.
- To be eligible to work, clinic employees must comply with all UC Berkeley Optometry Clinic annual immunization, TB and COVID Testing Medical Screening requirements, trainings, and University and School policies.
- Incumbent must be a high school graduate and/or equivalent certificate and be computer literate.
- Experience in cashiering is helpful.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is $22.07, Step 1.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, Career position.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=15499&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency