HR Staffing Specialist
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL), operated by Princeton University, is seeking a customer-service oriented Staffing Specialist to oversee various staffing needs at PPPL, focused on peak staffing needs. This includes the temporary and subcontracting needs, as well as regular and term appointment staffing needs at PPPL.
As the Staffing Specialist at PPPL, you will be responsible for fostering and maintaining relationships with external vendors, procurement contracts personnel, hiring and project managers, coordinating staffing needs including the procurement process, job posting, selection and orientation of temporary and contract staff. The Staffing Specialist will also assist in the process of hiring paid-interns, apprentices, and other student groups as needed. Reporting to the Executive Director of HR, the ideal candidate is a highly organized and possesses a professional customer-service approach to everyday interactions. As a member of a cross-functional HR team, the Staffing Specialist will partner with other members of the HR and Staffing team, and work collaboratively with all levels of management to fill urgent staffing needs, to seek and implement improvements, when identified.Responsibilities
- Work with external staffing agencies and professional services firms to fill subcontract and temporary positions ranging from professional level (exempt) to nonexempt roles, based on PPPL urgent and short-term staffing needs.
- Provide advice and guidance to hiring and project managers on the appropriate staffing mechanism based on both short and long-term needs as well as what type of resource this will be and acting as the subject matter expert (SME) on temporary staffing, selection, and contracting process should the managers require this need; determine which workforce needs should be fulfilled by full time or TERM needs as well as temporary firms or by contracts.
- At times, may also assist with regular full-time recruitment to help with staffing peaks, working with the Talent Acquisition Specialist.
- Advise and foster selection committee process through the review and selection process.
- Serve as liaison to third-party vendors, in collaboration with Procurement Specialists, to set up appropriate contract parameters.
- Collaborate with PPPL compensation and hiring managers to set appropriate level and pay.
- Enable a best-in-class experience through smooth transitions over the entire life-cycle from intake, to interviewing, selection and orientation.
- Stay current on recent federal, state and local case law changes; monitor labor law updates changes; take action to communicate to stakeholders and implemented requirements.
- Develop solutions to moderately complex problems, with limited supervision or oversight.
- Support the development and strategic implementation of policies, procedures and tools to support recruitment efforts, while fostering positive relationships between employees and managers.
- Seek to implement improvements that increases quality of hires and improve time-to-fill
- Prepare and track staffing requisitions and subcontract job orders; this includes preparing purchase orders, basic ordering agreements, negotiating pay and working hand-in-hand with Contracts professionals
- Provide a high-level of customer service, reducing the administrative burden on hiring managers, seeking efficiencies, and remaining fully compliant.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is a 12-month TERM benefits-eligible position; this position may be eligible for conversion to Regular full-time staff.Qualifications
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree in an HR or other business-related degree area preferred.
In lieu of a degree, we will consider equivalent work experience with at least a minimum of 3 years' recruitment and/or staffing experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience working on employment contracts, or other contracting experience is highly desired.
Experience in other human resources functions outside of staffing and recruitment, is a plus such as compensation, benefits, etc.
Must be able to maintain confidentiality and a professional demeanor at all times.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Demonstrated ability to handle work in a complex, and at times, fast-paced environment where multiple priorities may come in at one time
- Experience with robust applicant tracking systems such as iCIMS preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use technology (i.e. iCIMS, MS Office, HRIS systems) to gather, interpret, organize, and present data.
- Must possess sound judgment and critical thinking skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and administer broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, coaching and counseling managers and employees on policies and procedures.
- Able to collaborate, influence and command the respect and confidence of campus partners and have the capacity to deal with a wide range of relationships and situations.
- Strong organizational skills; evidence of self-motivation; demonstrated ability to plan, schedule and work both independently and in teams within a service-oriented organization.
- Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and competing priorities while balancing the need for quality with meeting deadlines.
- Must have high emotional intelligence with the ability to work with differing personality styles across the organization
- PHR, SHRM-CP, or AIRS Related certifications can be helpful, not required.
- Ability to sit, stand, and perform computer work.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.Standard Weekly Hours40.00Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoEstimated Appointment End Date3/1/2021Physical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver's License RequiredNo #LI-CL1