Temporary SLI Japanese Tutor
Job Title: Temporary SLI Japanese Tutor
Location: UNG-Dahlonega, GA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 223785
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Department Information
The Summer Language Institute (SLI) is an intensive, residential language program. The SLI covers the content of two semesters (1001 + 1002) of language learning in a 6-week period. Tutors are an integral part of the program; they work under the supervision of SLI faculty and in collaboration with the resident tutors to provide assistance to SLI students.Job Summary
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Temporary SLI Japanese Tutor. Tutors may be responsible for activities such as taking attendance, monitoring language lab sessions, assisting students in language assignments such as conversation drills, homework, test preparation, leading discussions, etc. Tutors are expected to attend extracurricular activities and assist the instructor in the preparation and logistics of such activities. Tutors are expected to work 7 days/week, including weekends and holidays, during the program. They cannot commit to taking summer courses during the second half of the summer semester and/or maintain a second job. Tutors report June 18, 2021 for Orientation. Program dates: June 19 through July 30, 2021.Responsibilities
- Take attendance, monitor lab sessions, meal times, and other scheduled activities specified in the tutor schedule.
- Engage the students in conversing in the target language. Be firm, strict, and encouraging when working with the students on their oral assignments. Set a good example for the student participants.
- Lead discussions, give presentations, and participate in field trips and other activities over the duration of the program.
- Help students with their homework, projects, preparation for class, tests, exams, etc.
- Grade homework and quizzes under the instructors supervision.
- Perform other tasks designated by the instructor.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- College level language courses completed at the 2002-level minimum.
- Previous experience in intensive language program preferred.
- Native or near-native Japanese language proficiency preferred.
- Cover letter
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.Special Applicant Instructions
- Please include contact information for three proffessional references