Math Peer Tutor - Institutional Student Worker
Job Title: Math Peer Tutor - Institutional Student Worker
Location: UNG - Oconee
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 224261
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Job Summary
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Math Peer Tutor. The math peer tutor is responsible for tutoring students in university-level algebra (and possibly other disciplines in mathematics) and assisting students, faculty, and staff with all services provided by UNG tutoring centers.Responsibilities
- Work on examples to illustrate appropriate use of concepts
- Encourage students to use class notes and other resources to complete assignments
- Assist in the general operation of the tutoring center, including recording session notes
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director, Assistant Director, or Tutoring Lab Coordinator of Tutoring Services
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilties
- Must have firm understanding of algebraic principles.
- Must exhibit patience and possess strong communication skills.
- Ability to help students by providing prompts and clearing up misconceptions.
- Ability to interpret word problems effectively to clarify core concepts.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administration.
- Must be enrolled at the University of North Georgia in a minimum of six (6) credit hours to qualify as a student worker
- Currently-enrolled UNG student with a GPA of at least 3.0
- A grade of A or B in MATH 1111 (preferably in MATH 1113, 1401, and/or 1450 as well)
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.