Painter - East Campus Housing
At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a Full-Time Painter to join our team at the East Campus Housing who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and who will perform skilled painting work in the preparation, patching, finishing, and maintaining of interior and exterior surfaces on all Amarillo College East Campus Houses. Under general supervision, performs journey-level painting and furniture refinishing work of considerable difficulty. The Painter also practices preventive maintenance of painting tools and equipment, and complies with federal regulations governing environmental protection, hazardous waste disposal and the use of chemical substances and materials common to the painting trade.GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTSEDUCATION:
Required: High School Diploma or GED.Experience and Training:
Required: 2 years of experience in painting and repair.
Preferred: 5 years of experience in painting and repair.Certificates/Licenses:
Required: Valid Class C Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record.Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, equipment and materials of the painting trade;
- Knowledge of the proper preparation of surfaces to be painted;
- Knowledge of the proper method of mixing and matching all types of paints and the adaptability of various surface materials;
- Knowledge of cabinetry touch up and refinishing;
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the painting trade;
- Ability to calculate square footage of areas; being painted and determine materials needed;
- Ability to perform painting and related general labor work in a variety of climatic conditions;
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and complete work as assigned;
- Ability to read, understand and utilize operation and maintenance manuals, paint application instructions, policies, procedures and other related materials;
- Ability to use or operate with proficiency the tools and equipment of the painting trade.
- Ability to work under stress, to work independently and as a team member and deal with people in a professional manner.
- Skilled in oral communications;
- Skilled in mixing paints and in matching and blending colors;
- Skilled in the application of paints, varnishes, and other finishes.
- Use of personal protective equipment to include gloves, eye protection, respirators etc…
- Equipment used: vehicle, hand tools, spray paint equipment, ladders and scaffold equipment
- Must have excellent customer service skills to work around tenants and staff.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reads work order or receives instructions from supervisor concerning painting projects; plans and organizes tasks to ensure completion of project in an efficient and timely manner.
- Applies coats of paint, varnish, stain, enamel, or lacquer using brushes, sponge, spray gun, or roller to decorate and/or protect interior and exterior building surfaces, cabinetry, machinery, or equipment.
- Prepares surfaces for painting using paint remover, sandpaper, scraper, steel wool, or wire brush; fills nail holes, cracks and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other filler, using caulking gun and putty knife; applies textures to match existing surfaces.
- Removes fixtures such as electric switch covers from walls and ceilings prior to painting; spreads drop cloths over floors and room furnishings; covers surfaces such as baseboards, door frames and windows with masking tape and paper or plastic to protect surfaces during painting.
- Erects scaffolding or sets up ladders and safety equipment to perform tasks above ground level.
- Selects premixed paints or mixes requiring portions of pigment, oil, and thinning and drying substances to prepare paint that matches specified colors.
- Prepares and refinishes cabinetry and other miscellaneous items.
- Restores painting work sites to their original condition at the completion of work by cleaning up area painted when project completed by removing drop cloths and paint drippings; cleans brushes, spray guns, rollers and other equipment using paint solvent.
- Tapes and floats drywall; applies wall coverings.
- Assists with documenting the cost of painting work by keeping accurate daily time sheets and work order records of time and materials, to be charged to each job.
- Practices preventive maintenance of painting tools and equipment by performing spot checks of equipment to determine their working condition, oiling moving parts, cleaning and servicing tools and equipment as directed or specified in the operator's manual, and returning damaged tools and equipment for repair or replacement.
- Provides technical assistance in the purchase of new or replacement painting shop tools and equipment by being knowledgeable of the capabilities of various types of equipment and recommending the purchase of painting tools and equipment that meet the needs of the paint shop.
- Reduces the likelihood for liability regarding the College’s compliance with federal regulations by complying with policies, laws, and regulations governing environmental protection, safety, hazardous waste disposal, and the use of chemical substances and materials common to painting.
- Contributes to an accident-free work environment by complying with operator's instructions for the use of power sprayers and tools, wearing protective equipment such as filter respirators, goggles, hearing protectors, back supports, and work gloves, reporting incidents of unsafe work activity to supervisors, and following standard safety precautions during work.
- Contributes to the overall success of the EC Housing Maintenance by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Requires the ability to walk, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, push, stretch, bend, climb/work on ladders/scaffolds, and get down to work on hands and knees. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
May be required to work a flexible schedule (evenings, weekends, holiday's, varying events, etc., if necessary.)
Working Environment: This position operates in various campus buildings and rooms. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions.Salary:
Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.