Director of Communications & Marketing
Director of Communications & MarketingDepartment:
Graduate School Dean's OfficeAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.College/Unit/Department website:
TRS or ORPEmployment Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Monday-Friday 8 pm-5 pm
Some evenings and weekends
02/17/2021Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
03/15/2021Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Position Summary:
The Graduate School is seeking an experienced and innovative individual to serve as the next Director of Communications and Marketing. This position will serve as the point of contact for the Graduate School’s full range of communication responsibilities and will coordinate the unit’s communications infrastructure. The position will also lead the development and execution of a communications and marketing strategic plan aimed at ensuring effective messaging to all Graduate School stakeholders, both internal and external. This includes serving as a media relations contact for internal and external media outlets as well as developing, writing, and editing stories, newsletters, posts, memos and press releases. This position has key responsibility for implementing public information efforts to promote the national and international reputation of graduate programs at the University of Georgia, enhance fundraising and ultimately improve graduate student recruitment/enrollment and success. This position will organize efforts across the Graduate School to generate, review and edit materials for content, consistency, accuracy, and relevance. Finally, this position will assist with the Graduate School’s overall donor stewardship efforts and strategy.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
•Excellent communication skills, including verbal and written communication, as well as proofreading and editing (needed).
•A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related area (needed). A Master’s degree in a similar field (preferred).
•At least three years of experience in public relations or communications (or related field) (needed).
•Demonstrated ability to effectively design and implement communications strategies and goals in a higher education or related setting (needed).
•Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines (needed).
•Supervisory experience (preferred).
•Commitment to a collegial, equitable, and inclusive workplace (needed).
•Thorough understanding of the Graduate School mission and activities, as well as the graduate student/education experience (preferred).
•Understanding of digital accessibility and commitment to digital accessibility best practices (preferred).
•Diverse technical skillset related to print and digital communication and production (preferred).
Sitting for long periods of time.Is driving a responsibility of this position?:
NoIs this a Position of Trust?:
NoDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
NoCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
- Attend biweekly with Graduate School leadership (Dean, Associate Deans and Directors) meetings to develop and execute comprehensive short and long-term communications and marketing plans.
- Generate, conceptualize, and write stories for news releases, the Graduate School’s website and e-newsletter, e-magazine, social media, annual reports, and other print and online materials.
- Serve as the point of contact for requests for information or statements from news outlets.
- Represent the Graduate School in UGA STRATCOMM and MARCOMM meetings.
- Review and ensure consistency, clarity and accuracy of all Graduate School communications.
- Manage content for the Graduate School website and ensure that content is up-to-date, accurate and consistent with overall communications strategies for the Graduate School.
- Develop plan for Graduate School social media accounts.
- Work with the Graduate School directors to promote programs, offerings, and events for their units.
- Maintain Graduate School events calendar.
- Provide guidance, oversight, and evaluation of communications staff.Percentage of time:
- Develop and disseminate promotional materials for Graduate School events.Percentage of time:
- Collaborate effectively with relevant institutional offices including, but not limited to, the Office of the President, the Office of the Provost, Marketing and Communications, Development and Alumni Relations, and development staff in other academic units to promote and foster stewardship relations specific to graduate education.Percentage of time:
Other duties as assigned.Percentage of time: