Housing Admin Services & CommAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
University Housing’s mission is to provide comfortable, affordable and secure on-campus housing options in residential communities where the academic success and personal growth of residents are encouraged and supported. University Housing operates as a self-supporting auxiliary unit within the Division of Student Affairs. More than 8,000 students live on campus, where University Housing manages more than 2.8 million square feet of space in 22 residence halls, 20 apartment buildings, four Greek Park houses and 18 buildings on UGA’s nearby Health Sciences Campus. The department employs more than 700 staff members to conduct the operations of a comprehensive and integrated student housing organization.College/Unit/Department website:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.Advertised Salary:
$25,175 – $39,000Posting Date:
02/16/2021Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
03/15/2021Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an apprenticeship, a 2-year degree, or professional certificate. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Position Summary:
The primary function of this position is to perform a variety of financial management and administrative tasks pertaining to the fiscal operations of University Housing.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
1. Considerable knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures in the recording, classifying and examination of fiscal transactions
2. Typing and editing skills with high accuracy
3. Utilize computer technology for all applications in a manner that meets performance expectations
4. Understand and accurately interpret information and develop appropriate responses
5. Communicate effectively in person and via telephone and computer to a wide variety of constituents.
6. Work with a wide variety of constituents to creatively resolve problems and develop solutions.
7. Organizational skills to manage multiple and conflicting priorities
8. Maintain confidentiality of office information and records.
9. Focus on and complete detail-oriented tasks.
1. Lift and carry over 20 pounds, both assisted and unassisted.
2. Sit at a desk and computer for moderate periods of time.
3. Bend and/or squat to file or scan inventory bar codes.
4. Communicate via telephone and in person.
YesIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
YesDoes this position require a P-Card? :
YesIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
YesDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
YesDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
General accounts payable/procurement functions
• Receive and review purchasing forms and accompanying documentation to ensure proper payment processing in accordance with UGA purchasing policies.
• Initiate payment requests in financial system to vendors and individuals from general operating, hall council, and UGA Foundation (UGAF) funds.
• Prepare and route UGAF payment request forms for approval as appropriate.
• Initiate GL journals for intra-university charges.
• Process reimbursement requests for candidates travel expenses.
• Track expense transactions on various spreadsheets to record payments to vendors with high transaction volumes.
• Maintain vendor spreadsheets and review statements monthly for most vendors.
• Create vendor payment cards and maintain a vendor list for direct billing of vendor charges to Housing.
• P-card duties: May be asked to serve as a departmental p-card holder. Provide p-card transaction logs to supervisor after verifying chart string information and amounts charged in Works.
• Maintain list of departmental p-card holders. Collect statements from other departmental cardholders for review and filing. Alert business manager of p-card issues during review.
• Provide purchasing training as needed for new staff in University Housing. This training may include the use of a PowerPoint presentation or other documents.
• Process annual Jim Day Housing Scholarships.
• Serve as a back-up for other Housing purchasers and business manager as needed to process payments.
• Distribute monthly report for hall council expenditures and fund balances.
• Record UGAF financial activities on internal spreadsheets and reconcile with FAME statements monthly for departmental distribution.
• Maintain status of all UGAF payment requests with dates of receipt in HBHR, submission to Student Affairs and UGAF, and payment disbursement by UGAF.
• Maintain records of all pet deposits paid by and refunded to staff living in University Housing.
• Initiate journal entries to correct expense chartstring and to allocate hall council funds as needed.
• Assist business manager with monthly reconciliation and reporting processes. In addition to the monthly reporting, accountant will prepare budget journals and/or journal vouchers to transfer funds and process corrective transactions.
Special Projects/Other Duties
• Assist with data compilation during internal and external audits.
• Cross train to learn the core duties of the other accountants in the Housing Business and Human Resources office to serve as a back-up during times of leave.
• Back-up for business manager when deposits need to be prepared.
• When needed, serve as a back-up for front desk operations in the business office in order to maintain customer service.
• Serve as a backup inputting new product request forms received in UGA Marketplace for sale online.
• Serves on departmental and university committees, task forces and participates in other professional development activities.
• Maintain working knowledge of software, financial information systems (PeopleSoft, Simpler) and web based applications used in the business office.
• Maintain files in accordance with the Board of Regents records retention policy.
• Assist with other projects or perform other duties consistent with the purpose and scope of this position.